HELP! Kids' iMac display issue!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sigamy, Jan 20, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

We have an iMac DV that just started acting up. During boot the monitor is fine--displays colors and good resolution. But once the OS is loaded the screen is sort of black & white. I've check the contrast and brightness, changed resolutions and color depth, nothing has worked. It is almost like a reverse negative image. No colors, just black and white. Is this a hardware issue or software setting? Again, the monitor is fine when OS X is loading.

This iMac has been working fine for years. It was working fine when my kids were playing a game, then the next day the display went crazy. Could my kids have pressed a few buttons or something?

This is a G3 CRT iMac DV running Panther.

2. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Could be high contrast mode. Open System Preferences and check in the Accessability pane.

3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Try pressing control-option-⌘-8 (while holding down the first three, press '8'). That'll toggle between the two visibility modes.

4. macrumors 6502

You can also access the negative image setting under Universal Access in the System Preferences (Set Picture to White on Black). It's actually a very common thing to hit on desktop keyboards, because the 8 key on a number pad is close to the eject key. The Ctrl-Alt-Cmd-Eject sequence is used to turn the machine off. One little finger slip can cause the display colours to go screwy.

5. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

The key combo only works for me with the '8' above the letter keys, not on the keypad.