Help, Line-in won't work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by j26, Nov 28, 2006.

1. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I can't get my audio line-in to work. When I plug in my headphone set i get nothing coming through (Sound preferences is blank), but when I plug in the headphone jack to it, I get something coming through, so it is working. I have tried to change the input in preferences, but to no avail.

I had the same problem in my PowerBook, so I assume it has something to do with the settings I brought across when I transferred over.

It was never really an issue for me before, but now I want to be able to use Skype, and this becomes a major problem for me.

Anyone any ideas on what to do??

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I don't quite understand the question you're asking... but if I read it right, are you trying to use a headset mic? You'll need a preamp - the Macbook/Pro's inputs aren't preamplified. Better yet, swap your headset for a USB one.

3. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

Basically I want to be able to put a mic into the jack in the side of my MacBook and use it to speak into for Skype. At the moment when I put in the mic jack I get no sound coming into the computer, but I've tried putting in the headphone jack and one of the headphones will operate as a mic. Obviously I would look pretty stupid if I put the headphone to my mouth, but amazingly it seems to work like that.

Are you telling me I can't do that, and the hole on the side of my MacBook is purely cosmetic? That doesn't sound right.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, the hole in the side is not cosmetic :rolleyes: it is Line in.
    You are trying to feed it a Mic level signal which is about 50 times weaker than a Line level signal.
    Like Sesshi said, you need to preamplify your mic signal up to line levels. Or, much simpler, just get a USB headset.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Line-in != Mic-in

Mic inputs are pre-amplified, because mic-level signals are far weaker than line-level. That's why they have different names. Get a USB headset.

6. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

Why does it work when I put in the headphone then?

I got this from the help (note nothing about preamps)
    I'm curious and it will annoy me if I have to go out and buy something else just to use it.