Help! Locked folder

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacGator, Mar 28, 2004.

1. MacGator macrumors newbie

Help! I'm a Mac man for 10 yrs now... but am stumped by a recent addition to my desktop, a locked folder that I can not unlock to delete.
    Have tried the usual way, by "Get Info" , it's locked and grayed out, and I can't figure out how to get it to a point where I can get rid of it. Have been able to delete the contents, but the folder won't go away! Any ideas?!

Thanks. Peace.

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

If you can't unlock it then it probably means you're not the owner of it. In the Ownership & Permissions section of get info, unlock permissions and set yourself to owner (probably requiring and admin password to do). Then you should be able to unlock it.

3. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Are you using OS X?

If so, open treminal and type:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    Code:
    ls -la
    This will list the content of your desktop folder, and list the owners and permissions for every file/folder.

If the folder dosn't belong to you, change ownership:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R foldername your_username
    This requires root password and will recursively change ownership of the folder and its subfolders/files to you.

You can then drag the folder to your Trash can.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

if none of that works you can log on as root i will tell you about it next post, if it does not work.

5. nargot macrumors regular

If you don't know how to do root login... just get info of your hard drive, make yourself (login name) the owner of it, click apply to all enclosed items. This should get around most problems (i have to do this on external drives, so they can be shared and modified on another computer)

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

OK, everything posted earlier is waaaay too complex. Why are you guys escalating the issue so much, it's really easy to change the permissions using OS X's friendly gui:

Select the folder. Press Apple + I and open up the permissions tag, click the lock symbol and you can change the owner to your user, when you own the file, and you give yourself read and write permission, then you can do whatever you want with it.

Attached Files:

• info.jpg
      info.jpg
      File size:
      36.2 KB
      Views: