Help! Locked myself out of Folder!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bm7at81, Sep 2, 2005.

1. bm7at81 macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2005
    Hi All,

I've only been using OSX for a couple of months now since buying my first Mac (G4 12" PB) so i suppose it was only a matter of time before i did something stupid like this...

I decided to have a play around with the access privileges for an important folder that contains some past project work and ive manage to now make it so that I, myself cannot even view the contents!?

I think i selected "no access" to System and clicked that padlock closed.. stupidly i did this without reading any of the help info and it asked me for my admin password and then locked the files...

Now i can't change the access privileges back and it doesnt even ask me for my admin password unless i try to delete or move the file!?

Can anyone please tell me how to unlock this file? Is there a "system" login i need to use to get it back?!

All help is appreciated.. thanks!
  2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Open Terminal, go to the folder one level below the one you don't have access to, and type 'sudo chmod -R 777 <foldername>" and then go back to Finder and fix the permissions to a sane level, change ownership, et cetera.

Edit: Or you could enable the root account in Netinfo and then log out and back in as root and change the permissions in Finder. This might be the proper way to do it, since Finder might conceivably use ACL for the "no access" bit. *shrugs*
  3. bm7at81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2005

Thanks so much for the help kalisphoenix, being a newbie i had no idea how to activate the system admin (root) login on a MAC... done now via netinfo and folder access has been reset... Wont be making that mistake again!

Thanks mate,

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Don't worry, with every problem, when you find its solution, you also learn new things.

Think it that way: If you didn't make this mistake, you wouldn't have learned the way to log in as root!