Help! Logged out of X.4 and now in Darwin/BSD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dreadnought, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Hi guys,

I just logged out of os X.4 and being the sole user, having only one account on it, I now find myself in Darwin/BSD. I now have a big black screen in front of me with white letters. I can log in, but I still stay in this console version. However when I try to open something it says:
    "kCGErrorRangeCheck : On-demand launch of the Window Server is allowed for root user only.
    INIT_Processeses (), could not establish the default connection to the WindowServer. Abort trap"

Also it says every couple of minutes:
    "Computer-of-myname launchd: getting server task port(): (os/kern) failure"

Is this bad? How do I get out of here? I haven't found any info at Apple supportpages. Thank God I still have my ibook to make this thread. Also I can still make a connection with my ibook to my G5 and see everything.

Thanks, Dreadnought, with a useless dual G5...

2. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Does it come to the same screen when you restart?

Also, have you tried typing "exit" at the prompt. I'm really not sure what screen you're at, but I think I've been at that screen before when doing some troubleshooting and "exit" made the computer continue through the OS X startup.

3. Dreadnought thread starter macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Yes, it also comes when I restart. When I type exit, I'm logged out of this "terminal", you get the blue start up screen and then it's back in this console version asking to login. I can login, but it stays in this unix mode and I can't open a folder or program because of the error of the Window Server.

4. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

I would consider the following two options:

1. Get a copy of Disk Warrior for OS X.4. I once completed screwed up an iMac using Norton Utilities for OS 9 on an OS X (Panther) formatted drive. Complete meltdown - iMac would start (if I recall correctly), but all the files were gone. Disk Warrior rebuilt the directory so that the computer ran again, and all files were recovered. I was able to do this using a second mac (as you have) because you can download the program from Alsoft's website. Ran off of my Powerbook, accessing the iMac in target disk mode (hold down the "T" key at start up, then plug into the laptop). Program saved my bacon.

2. Boot from your OS X disks. Do an archive and install - this keeps all of your files, and moves the old, now corrupt, system folder to a new folder called Previous System. This won't repair problems with the data on your drive, but by reinstalling the operating system, the computer should restart. Assuming your library folder wasn't corrupted, it should import your settings, too.

Good luck!

5. Dreadnought thread starter macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Thanks Issmit, I already backed most important files up yesterday in target disk mode. I also figured that it would probaly be the finder that is corrupt, so I replaced that, but I didn't have permission fot that... Too bad, because that was the way to fix your mac with the classic os. So, that didn't work. I already figured to do a archive and install, but somehow I misplaced my os X.4 disk. I'm now trying to borrow it from a friend of mine, but he's on a ship for the next couple of months. And just talked to his wife, she hasn't found it yet... So that's gonna take a couple of days. She just phoned: she found it!!!

6. Dreadnought thread starter macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Just to let you know: The G5 is up and running again!

7. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Great! Now you can fold again!

What did the trick?