help looking for a pda..

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bokdol, Apr 15, 2003.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

ahh here i go ask the wonderful group at macrumors. this seems like the place to start. a\ny how, i am looking for a pda. but i need to be able to check email on it. or at least connect to my computer and download emails. and of course it has to be mac compatable. so i am hopeing you wonderful people could recomend or at least give me some of your expirences with pda's:D

2. cubist macrumors 68020

You can get a used Palm-III for $30 to $50 on eBay, hopefully with a USB PDA adapter like the PalmConnect included. It does the job, uses regular AAA batteries (I use rechargable NiMHs).

Yes, the screen is B&W and quite small, but it's usable for plain text. I don't have an email mechanism working on the Newton yet.

(If anyone suggests using a T68i, laugh in their face.)

3. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

If you're after a newer palm, you should wait until the end of the month. What I've heard is they are releasing a Tungsten|C that has 802.11b connectivity and the XScale processor. If that's not your boat, the Tungsten|T price will drop and they're introducing a new Zire with an integrated camera running on the Ti OMAP processor.

4. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

5. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

wow thanks for the help.
    also do you know of any email clients on the palm that well work with a pop server?

6. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

actually the T|T is in my opinion the best one. even with the T|C around the corner. 802.11b is nice but not s useful in a handheld as bluetooth is.
    Think about it. you really want net access on the go like that? get a laptop with 802.11.
    PDAs should use the phones through a BT conn or built-in and a GSM/GPRS/3G network for things like email and maybe, text messaging but nothing else. the screens are not really designed for heavy HTML browsing

7. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I've owned various PDA's on no less than 5 occasions, and returned every one for lack of use. I bought the sixth yesterday, a Sony Clie PEG-whatever. It has a mini-keyboard (I think the graffitti thing was a reason I never used the others) and bluetooth. Haven't opened the box yet, so I can't give a final report. However, unless you have experience with graffitti, and know you like it, you may want to consider a keyboard model...

8. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

laptop not really an option. and no html browsing but email and organizer is mostly what it well be used for.

9. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

The article never said that there would not be bluetooth. It just never mentioned it. I think it would be useful in a handheld with all the T-Mobile Hotspots popping up in every starbucks and Kinkos in the world. I could be wrong but I imagine it would be cheaper to get the Tungsten|C and add a bluetooth SD card than buying the Tungsten|T and getting a wi-fi SD card. Although there will be wi-fi SD cards with memory so I don't know. I imagine the T|T will get a processor upgrade too, at least it should.

10. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

NavyIntel007: can you read?

look at my location. in this part of the world (the real part if you ask me) we dont have hot spots like that. let me extend:

i go into the CBD with a T68i. I do a BT search as often as i can as i am walking to the mac store (it was a 1.5K walk (i trained it in)) i found NOTHING.

in aus we dont know what wireless is unless you are a mac user or a techo freak.

so. 802.11 is useless for me but BT is very useful. Also i like graffiti, i hate those keyboard type inputs.

oh well. evey man to his own PDA.