Help!!! Looking for a PS2 Emulator for mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by doucy2, Sep 24, 2005.

1. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

if anyone can give me advice or direct me (idk if it even exists)
    i am looking for a emulot that will play ps2 game on my powermac g4
    any help at all would be greatly appreciated

cheers

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

BluePS2 was a hoax so that leaves us at... zilch. Sorry, dude. But the PC ones aren't that good either.

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

There are no PS2 emulators for mac. This is mainly because the PS2 uses intel chips (x86) and macs use PPC. Inorder to get an emulator working for PS2 it would have to be a whole processor emulation, not just a software emulation like it is on PC. There are x86 emulators out there (VPC) but they are very slow, so if you even attempted to run games on there the performance would totally suck. But there is good news, when Macs switch to x86 some one may make an emulator or PS2, XBOX ect.

4. doucy2 thread starter macrumors 65816

doucy2

cool ill just have to wait it out then

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The PS2 uses some sort of 128bit RISC chip @ 300Mhz. Although it is not a PPC chip, so it would still require a lot of processing power to emulate.

The GC on the other hand uses a G3 based chip and ATI graphics chip. There is a Mac emulator for that, but it can't do much.

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

You must be thinking of the XBox, because the PS2 doesn't use x86 at all. (Or PPC.) Even on the fastest PC, PS2 emulation is slow, not because of the CPU emulation, but because the PS2 is a complicated system and doesn't do graphics in the same way as a PC (or other consoles, for that matter).

--Eric

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

The PS2's CPU is not x86 - it's a custom 64-bit MIPS R5000 @ 300MHz with a 128-bit vector unit (like altivec). A CPU from the same family is used in the N64 (R4300i @ 93.75MHz), and there are already a couple very good N64 emulators out there that can run at full-speed on a <1GHz G4. Of course, the graphics hardware of the PS2 is very different and much more advanced, but Macs are getting fast enough that a full-speed PS2 emulator should soon be technically possible. It's probably only a matter of time. The PS2 is a pretty complicated system, which makes it harder to emulate.

I'm sure some Xbox emulators will sprout up quickly though once the first x86 Macs come out.

8. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

the gc cpu is made by IBM. i thought motorola made the G3

9. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

The PowerPC 750, as used in the PowerMac G3 :)