Help!!! Mac Doing Things on It's Own

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iHatePCs, Feb 13, 2005.

1. iHatePCs macrumors member

iHatePCs

Hey the other day I went into the accounts pref. under system prefrences and There was a new user! It's name was _Tor and it's icon was a black shadow in front of the .mac icon. It had no limitations so i just deleted it... I think it "may" have changed my master password because every time I try to change it... it says it's changed...but it doesn't take affect. Has anyone else had a siliar situation... or does anyone know whats going on? HELP!!! :eek:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I installed some software a while back that did exactly that; can't recall what it was now, but I had to go clean it up. Pretty messy stuff. I remember that it was something I'd read about here, but, for the life of me, can't remember what it was.

Edit: it's not a virus, and it's not bad - it's the way the software works, but I just didn't like it so I removed it. If I remember what it was, I'll write back.

3. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

I might bring it to the Apple Store at the Northshore mall to see if they might know what's going on.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

What have you installed lately? I wish I could remember what it was. Quicksilver? Maybe. I just remember installing it and immediately going through things and removing it. I originally thought it was malware.

BTW, Northshore Mall in Peabody, MA?

5. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

The last thing I installed was NiceCast and iProfile.

And yes the Apple Store in Peabody, MA