Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Been offered a Mac mini for free after my financial situation changed dramatically ..

It has the following specs

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
120GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive 8x DL

Will this run ML or even Lion?

Will it run Plex

Will it run iTunes 11 and the latest version of iPhoto?

And is the ram and hd upgradable if yes to how much?

Thanks again!

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Been offered a Mac mini for free after my financial situation changed dramatically ..

It has the following specs

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
120GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive 8x DL

Will this run ML or even Lion?

Will it run Plex

Will it run iTunes 11 and the latest version of iPhoto?

And is the ram and hd upgradable if yes to how much?

Thanks again!

It looks to be the higher spec version of the first Core 2 Duo model, which came out in August 2007. According to Wikipedia you can install up to 4 GB of RAM, and it can run OS X 10.7 (Lion). I guess it would accept any available capacity of HDD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_mini

It should be able to run iTunes 11 and the latest version of iLife, which includes iPhoto.

It should run Plex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plex_(software)

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
how do i install lion on my Mac Mini first of all?

i cant download from the MAS because i only have 1GB of RAm and it says i need 2GB to download

Nov 28, 2010
located
how do i install lion on my Mac Mini first of all?

i cant download from the MAS because i only have 1GB of RAm and it says i need 2GB to download

You upgrade to 3 GB.

As for iLife, you can purchase iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand via the MAS and as for Plex, I do not know.

While 2 GB is the stated minimum with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, it is better to have more than that, especially if you want to multi task.
1 GB is really cutting it with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and later.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
The guide above shows the guy running 10.8 with 1GB? ..

Any links to where I can get more ram from as dont know which type I need .. What's the maximum that will run?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
The guide above shows the guy running 10.8 with 1GB? ..

Any links to where I can get more ram from as dont know which type I need .. What's the maximum that will run?

Thanks

While it may run with 1 GB, it is not pretty, unless you run only one or two applications at the same time.

As for RAM: 667 MHz 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM, via Newegg.com
As for maximum, 3 GB, as stated in post #2 and #6. The first in post #2 also links to specifications of your model.

iFixIt has guides on how to install RAM, it will not be so easy though.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
I've ordered 2gb from crucial.

My problem is iPhoto.

I have an iPhoto library that was created on a 2012 mac.

Now I have installed iLife 11 on the mini and updated it etc but it still says version of iPhoto library is too new to open.

I'm hoping if I update to lion and then mountain lion ill be able to update it some more and it will work!

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Found the problem .. I need iPhoto 9.4.2 I think which is only available on lion and later (I hope) so when my ram arrives ill be able to install lion and all will be well!

How do I output audio to HDMI?

I have bought a DVI to HDMI converter but DVI doesn't carry sound does it?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I was hoping for a cheaper solution with a simple one cable

Does that mean, you want more replies or have you given up hoping?

You could just use the 3.5 mm to RCA cable and forego the HDMI converter if your input device supports HDMI video plus analog RCA audio on one channel.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I was hoping for a cheaper solution with a simple one cable

On that vintage Mini, that monoprice adapter or one functionally like it is the only solution that will give you HDMI with integrated audio.

I used that same HDMI adapter with my mid-2007 Mini for a while connected to a TV, but never could get full 1920x1080 through it. I think it would do 1600xsomething. I ended up switching to Apple TV on that set & moving the Mini into my office so I gave up, not saying it can't be done just that I didn't do it :)

My TV wouldn't take HDMI plus separate analog audio. It would take VGA plus analog audio, and that worked OK but full HD is pushing it a bit with VGA. Didn't look as crisp as it did with HDMI, even with the lower resolution I was getting on the HDMI.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Might just use a 3.5 straight into my surround sound and use that instead whenever I need sound!

Thanks guys

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Ssd installed, and 2gb of ram. Machine is now downloading lion :)

Is it worth upgrading to ML despite its problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.