Help: Mac not able to connect to Linksys WRT54Gv5 Router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sabor, Apr 9, 2006.

1. sabor macrumors regular

sabor

I was recently in Dallas in a convention and wireless was set from a WRT54Gv5 router, and every time I tried to connect I got a "There was an error trying to join the wireless network". I thought what the hell and moved on.

I just purchased a Linksys WRT54Gv5 and when everything works fine. I enabled WEP encryption and I get the same freakin error!!! If I turn the password protection off, everything is back to normal.

I have owned Linksys routers in the past and none have given me problems. I have changed the IP Address of the Router, changed channels and no luck.

Has this ever happened to anyone and if it did, how did you fix it?

Thanks!!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Sorry to ask such a simple question, but did you enter the password into your computer? or just the router?

On a side note, WEP is crap. You may want to enable WPA instead.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

When you enter the WEP password in to your mac make sure you start the WEP key with a "$" symbol (without the quotes) Example $WEPKEYGOESHERE

I agree that WPA is stronger, but my TiVo Series 2 doesn't support WPA and between WEP and MAC address filtering i think the security is adequate.

Ed

Edit: This may help you out a bit too http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106424

4. sabor thread starter macrumors regular

sabor

Thanks, funny thing is that it never asks for my password :confused:

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Try connecting to "other" and manually typing the Network Name (SSID) and password. Make sure you select the appropriate password type.

6. sabor thread starter macrumors regular

sabor

7. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

SSID always ressurects network connections, even on windoze!