HELP! Mac OS 10.4 Kernel Error Message

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coggie355, May 6, 2005.

1. coggie355 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    was just wondering whether anyone out there would be able to help me troubleshoot a reoccuring Kernel Error Message that appears under an hour after turning on my 12 inch Powerbook G4.
    I have recently installed Mac OS X Tiger...
    Please help,
    Many Thanks

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Probably not without a little more information.

Which 12" PB do you have? Go to 'About this Mac' under the Apple menu and let us know. How much RAM do you have in there (and is it just what came with your Mac, or have you added any yourself?)

How did you upgrade to Tiger? A plain upgrade from Panther? Or did you Archive & Install? Have you repaired permissions since you upgraded?

What are you trying to do when it panics? Have you been able to recreate the problem? Are there any USB devices attached when it panics (other than a mouse)?

3. coggie355 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 1ghz 12PB, 512RAM. Simple upgrade from Panther, have repaired permissions, only USB device attached is my broadband which comes through USB. . . Was using itunes when it hapenned the first time, second and third were just after leaving the laptop on for a while. Many thanks for your help

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

While your USB modem might have worked under Panther, I think it is responsible for your KP's with Tiger. I have a 2wire modem, and one day I decided to connect it via USB just for the heck of it (I normally connect through ethernet). As soon as I connected it, I got a kernal panic too.

Also, you might try reinstalling Tiger, but I think it's the modem.

5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I get the same damn thing. 12" 800MHz G4 ibook. Kernel panics at completely random times. They will probably fix whatever it is with 4.1 or 4.2

6. Gideon macrumors newbie

kernel panic

Hi there, can anyone say for shure if a kernel error message in system 10 is certainly due to a system error and not to a faulty motherboard or other hardware defect ? Is there a statistics telling that this is always due to software ? Thanks Gideon

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    hi Gideon

For things like this, is usually better to start a new thread than add onto the bottom since most people don't always get all the way to the new request and answer the old one again.

Anyhow, it's more likely to be nothing to do with the system and something to do with your hardware or peripherals. Have you added any RAM to it? What peripherals have you plugged in?