Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weinersnitzelz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Houston, TX
I just recently bought the 2011 MacBook air 13" base model. My trackpad isn't nearly as sensitive to touch as all the store models I've tried.

For example, when i use two finger scrolling it doesn't detect both fingers but about half of the time unless I put more pressure on the trackpad. The store models I've tried takes far less pressure to operate correctly. The same goes for three and four finger swipes. This is my first Mac so I'm not sure if maybe its a newer version of lion (I'm not sure what version the store models were running) or if it's my Air.

Has anybody else seen this problem? maybe there's a setting I can't find?

Last edited:

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I just recently bought the 2011 MacBook air 13" base model. My trackpad isn't nearly as sensitive to touch as all the store models I've tried. For example, when i use two finger scrolling it doesn't detect both fingers but about half of the time unless I put more pressure on the trackpad. The store models I've tried takes far less pressure to operate correctly. The same goes for three and four finger swipes. This is my first Mac so I'm not sure if maybe its a newer version of lion (I'm not sure what version the store models were running) or if it's my Air. Has anybody else seen this problem? maybe there's a setting I can't find?

Have you tried to move your fingers further apart when 2 finger scrolling? If they are close together it doesn't work as well.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have tried that, it still has issues. I would say that maybe it's just me doing something wrong but the store models I've tried work really well.

Mine works fine using even if I am barely touching the trackpad with as little pressure that I can possibly exert.

I would recommend that you make an appointment at a local Apple store if there is one nearby. They are usually good about replacements if the unit is faulty.

/Jim

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
cold/damp climates/environments are not so good when using the trackpad.

I am sitting on the Oregon coast right now. Temperature has ranged from 4 - 10 C this weekend... and RH is about 100%. It is flawless, even when sitting outside on my balcony.

I also use mine with my two fingers touching each other... so you should not have to separate your fingers to use the trackpad.

I believe that it is capacitive, because if I touch the trackpad with just the tops of my fingernails (hand backwards), then it does not register. Whenever I touch the trackpad with the skin of my fingertips, it aways registers irrespective of pressure.

/Jim

Weinersnitzelz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Houston, TX
Mine works fine using even if I am barely touching the trackpad with as little pressure that I can possibly exert.

I would recommend that you make an appointment at a local Apple store if there is one nearby. They are usually good about replacements if the unit is faulty.

/Jim

That's what I've noticed with the store models I've tried. maybe I will have to go to Apple. I just bought it from Best Buy about 10 days ago plus I'm a silver member so I have 45 days to return/exchange it. I realize now how much I already have saved on it so I really don't want to have to backup and restore to a new one. If I were to take it to Apple would they repair it or replace it if there is in fact something wrong? Also, if they do replace it would they be able to transfer all of my files to the new one in store? Thanks

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
sounds like there could be something wrong. Get yourself down to your Apple store, your macbook is too expensive for it not to be perfect.

Weinersnitzelz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Houston, TX
sounds like there could be something wrong. Get yourself down to your Apple store, your macbook is too expensive for it not to be perfect.

I think I will but, do es anybody think it could be a software issue? Maybe re installing Lion would help? Like I said I'm a total noob when it comes to Macs. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.