Help! Macbook breakdown..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dale Cooper, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Hi, I just ran software update on my macbook, and installed a java update, a daylight saving fix and one more thing I don't remember what was:eek: Anyway, I was told to reboot, but now my dear Macbook won't start up: I hear the chime, get a grey screen and then nothing more. Booting from a CD doesn't work, nor does starting up in Single User mode. And the DVD-drive makes some strange, tikking noises right after the chime. Anyone got any advice?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If you leave the macbook on boot, after a while 2-5 minutes does a folder icon eventually appear on the screen ?

If so...... your hard drive is dead

Happened to mine a couple weeks ago. :eek:

3. Dale Cooper thread starter macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Yes, it does:mad: No hope then? Just had my Macbook in for almost four weeks because of a crack that suddenly appeard on the handrest, it's not tempting to have to deliver it again... (that was luckily on the guarantee)

And another thing: stupid me tried to boot from a PPC panther CD, which I now am unable to eject... Any advice on that?

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

From apple:

If a disc in your computer's optical drive refuses to leave, try these steps to eject the disc.

Restart your computer: From the Apple menu, choose Restart.
    When you hear the startup sound, immediately hold down your mouse button until your computer starts up and ejects the disc.
    If that doesn't work, try this:

When you hear the startup sound, immediately hold down the X key until your computer starts up.
    Open iTunes or DVD Player (both are in the Applications folder).
    Click the Eject button in either of these applications.
    If that still didn't eject the disc, try this:

When you hear the startup sound, immediately hold down the Command, Option, O, and F keys together until you see a text-only screen—this is the Open Firmware screen.
    At the prompt, type eject cd and press Return.
    Then type mac-boot and press Return to start up your computer in Mac OS X.

Bless

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sounds like your macbook is having as much of a hard time as mine :eek:

As 2nyRigz say's simply hold down the trackpad button when you boot. Eventually it should pop out.

Mine had to have a new HDD and they also replaced the logicboard (motherboard). (2 repairs)

You should still be under your 12 months waranty anyway (even if you didnt extend applecare) so I'd say get it sorted.

If they have already done one repair, this wil be its second if they just replace your HDD

On your third repair your macbook falls under the 'lemon policy' in regards to apple and you will be entitled to a replacement or full refund.

6. Dale Cooper thread starter macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

None of these worked I'm afraid. Guess I'll have to hand it in tomorrow.
    Does the fact that none of these things worked (or any other combination of keys that I've found, like entering Single User Mode indicate that something beside/instead of the HDD is broke??

Thanks for all your help so far by the way!

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yes like mine it could mean the logic board is also faulty. :eek:

8. Dale Cooper thread starter macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Well, not much to do about that... Maybe they'll give me a new one:)