Help! Macbook Pro random shutdown???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nanaki, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Nanaki macrumors member

This is urgent for me because I am leaving for vacation tomorrow...

Since yesterday, each time I unplug my Macbook Pro Core Duo, it just shuts down like there's no more power left. Coconut Battery says my battery is charged at 98% (my capacity is only 82% of what it used to be, though). What can I do to fix this by tomorrow??? I need the laptop for work, and I can't have it crapping out on my while I work over vacation.

This board was very helpful for another problem I had in the past... can anyone give their advice????

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Probably a faulty battery, if not update your firmware if you haven't and reset PRAM (Coconut Battery could be innacurate at times).

3. Nanaki thread starter macrumors member

OS X tells me the battery is full, too. The computer is up-to-date with all of it's firmware, software, etc. I've repaired the permissions. It still shuts down! Has anyone else had luck with this?????

4. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Call Apple. They will help you and probably will give you a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro.

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

It works on AC power though? It's probably the battery...call up apple.

6. Nanaki thread starter macrumors member

Called apple... they can't figure out what is wrong (battery shows no signs of being busted). I'll have to take it to an apple genius next week. Realistically though, what are the odds that I'll end up getting a new Macbook Pro from AppleCare?

7. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

60% - 70% they'll give you a new MacBook Pro.

8. emac82 macrumors 6502

Not likely. If you haven't had any other issues they will likely just repair it. Usually your Mac has to appear to be a lemon before they will want to replace it.