Help: macbook screen problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macjew, Aug 19, 2006.

1. macjew macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006
    When I turn on my macbook the screen starts completly white then slowly it fills up with vertical lines of color and it just stays like that.
  2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
  3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Apr 27, 2006
    A more detailed description would be helpful. Try to answer these questions.

How long have you had your MacBook?

Has the screen ever worked?

Can you describe the coloured lines? Do they change at all?

Your Mac is still under AppleCare, so if you give them a call you'll get sorted out quickly.
  4. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    I think I read something about this. Apparently there's a fix for it involving resetting the PRAM. Here's how to reset the PRAM. You could try it. I think there may have been more to the fix, but while searching I found that at least for some it was enough to reset the PRAM.
  5. macjew thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006
    the screen starts white then one line apears then another slowly atfirst then it becomes torential. the lines are all differnt colors a lot are pink.
    I have had the macbook for about 2 months now and this is the first problem i have had with it

Edit: resetting the Pram did it. do you know what the underlying problem was.
  6. vaper macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2006
    macjew, did you do the smc update prior to first experiencing the colored vertical stripes? I had no problems whatsoever prior to the smc update. After the update, the fans began making loud clicking noises that would last for 25 minutes or more. Applecare phone support was unable to resolve the issue and later that same day the screen went all stripes.

my macbook has the stripes and nothing so far has gotten them to go away. It's on its way to apple's service facility. wish me luck.
  7. uchuff macrumors member

Mar 25, 2006
    Nice, resetting the PRAM fixed this problem post SMC update for me.
  8. dibble macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2006
    Same macbook screen problem

I have just upgraded from an iBook G4 to a beautiful black Macbook 2gHz. Unfortunately the 512MB RAM is pathetically slow so I upgraded to 2GB at an official Apple agents using Dane-Electric memory-which is very good by all accounts and much cheaper than Apples own. When I got home and rebooted I also got the thousands of fine coloured vertical lines on the screen. A PRAM reboot sorts it out but it still will not reboot normally. Once running it goes fab, and a hardware check says all OK. Could this by a RAM issue?
  9. dibble macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2006
    Coloured stripes on macbook

I have just found out from the Apple website forum how to fix this so here you are, maybe someone could find it seems to be something to do with the 10.4.7 upgrade. Temporary fix is to do a PRAM reboot (hold down option, apple, p & r keys on powering up and keep holding until second boot chime occurs). A permanent fix is to startup from the installation disc 1 and run the 'startup' from 'Utilities' and set it to start with the mac HD OS 10.4.7. This seems to fix it-I have done >15 repeated restarts with no more far so good......
    Not sure, is it alright to answer your own questions???!!!
  10. haleyvan macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2006
    i had the same problem, but fixed it by resetting the PRAM. Has anyone else who has experienced and fixed these problems had any other problems afterwards, like random shut downs or more stripes? i can't afford to send my computer off for a week..i'm a college student!
  11. dibble macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2006
    So far all working perfectly.:)
  12. mchucky macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2011
    macbook problem

When I opened my laptop it was some horizontal lines and I shut down after that when i want to try open it it just have bip sound. How can I fix my macbook. Thanks