HELP! Mail in inbox disappeared from OSX mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grumpygirl, Jun 5, 2004.

1. grumpygirl macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2004
    I was using the OSX mail client (using pop mail from an external host) last night and i went to go and delete a ton of spam out of the trash. I do so, get an error saying something like "error in compacting files, could not compact, perhaps you have run out of disk space" never saw that before and no clue what it means.

So i then go to my inbox and to my horror, my INBOX is now empty. What HAPPENED? This my actually my boss' email and it's been acting REALLY weird. i checked the availability on the machine and there's 6 gig.

Another weird thing is half the messages say "this message is not viewable because it has not been downloaded from the server, go online to do so" well i go to the mail menu and i'm already online, i tried to toggle offline then online but i still get those messages.

I went to the hosting company and they managed to get me 4 days worth of mail back, but i'm missing a bunch of mail still.

Anyone have problems like this? I am 99% sure i didn't touch the inbox and was only dealing with the trash. the hosting company guy said another client had the exact same thing happen.

any help greatly appreciated. i'm wondering if in mail prefs my message store is set low and it's just full. i have no clue.
  2. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    can you see the mailbox files in /Users/yourusername/Library/Mail directory? are they almost zero in size or significantly bigger? if they are big, you're safe, the mail is there. you just have to make it work ;)

make a backup of the files and repair permissions then try to import mail from these files.