HELP making a DVD moive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nikola simic, May 26, 2005.

1. nikola simic macrumors newbie

HELP!!!

I need to make a DVD movie of over an hour of captured video.

I have IMovie 5.02, an iMac G5. (And IDVD w/ superdrive)

I have already captured and edited, but can't seem to export succesfully.

First, how do I get an hour of captured video onto a 4gb DVD? It seems that five minutes takes up over 2 gigs.

I thought it would be as easy as >share>DVD> and just wait for the proccesor to work.

BUT I'M DYING OVER HERE! I can't seem to figure it out and nobody seems to know.

Please, any expertise in this area will be greatly appreciated.

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I always go on the right where there's the options for clips, titles, audio, etc. and pick the iDVD one and then click Create iDVD Project. Five minutes of video should not take 2GB, it should take more around 50-100MB or so...

3. freiheit macrumors 6502a

I also use that Creatie iDVD project button from the lower-right of the iMovie interface. I have a feeling you're trying (without realizing it) to put the raw DV video onto the DVD. DV video consumes several gigabytes per hour (I think it's like 13MB/hour). DVD format (MPEG-2) uses much, much less, so that roughtly 2 hours of video fit on a single 4.7GB DVD.

4. nikola simic thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks...

thank you for your speedy help ! much appreciated

that worked. Last few times i tried, video was pixelated and jerky, but now it looks great. maybe the .02 update helped.

I just tested a 5 min clip and it uses 300+ mb. Not too bad. But, that limits me to about an hour or so. How do we make 4 hr dvd movies? Can I use 8 gb dvd's for movies or can I use a compressor (if so where can i get info on what kind of compression to use for high q dvd?)

Again, thanks for you help!

This is my first time on this forum AND YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I just did a 3 hour movie and just made DVD #1 with the ending a title saying to please insert DVD #2 to continue watching. Then I bought one of those little dual DVD cases to hold it in. Much easier to me do to that then worry about junky compression, etc.

6. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Well I know iDVD 5 for the first time supports DVD+R discs and the newest PowerMacs ship with dual-layer (8.5GB) drives, however I do not know if iDVD supports dual-layer burning. I haven't got any dual layer discs to try it here but I suspect the answer is no. Best way to find out is to put in a dual layer disc and try it.

7. nikola simic thread starter macrumors newbie

2 hours of video takes up 7+ gigs thru IMovie

I'm still unable to create a dvd of 2 hours of video in Imovie.

I import dv into the timeline, cut and add a few transitions, and use the "create idvd" button. STILL, idvd says my project is too big for single layered media. I check in idvd "status" and sure enough, my dvd requires over 7 gigs of free space. But my movie is just under two hours long. WHATS GOING ON! I thought this was suppossed to be easy. I'm not trying to use raw video, that's almost 40gig of video. I just want to fit 2 hours of video from my Imovie to a 4 gig dvd.

I'm lost on this one.

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

This isn't a "bug" or anything. The most I can get to fit is like 45 minutes.