Help! MBP can't expand archives!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Transeau, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Okay - this is getting me REALLY mad.

In January I sold my PowerBook G4, but not before archiving many of my files. I have most everything moved to my new MBP, except several of my GarageBand songs.

I used StuffIt Deluxe 9 to make several multi-part zips of my stuff.

GarageSongs2005.zip.001~012

Each of the parts are 10M in size. My problem now is that I can't seem to expand them! With a clean install of OS X 10.4.5, If I try the built in expander I get this: "Unable to unarchive 'GarageSongs2005.zip.001' into 'GarageSongs2005'. (Error 22 - Invalid Argument.)"

When I installed StuffIt Deluxe 10.1 I get this: "Expanding 'GarageSongs2005.dmg' to 'Backups'
    'Time Remaining: About 337026 Hours'"
    Then I get the beach ball.

I've posted on several other forums, and it seems that I'm the only one having this issue. Has anyone here seen this? Is there any solution?

Thanks
    Transeau

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

try to remove the .001 then unzipping

if that doesn't work, then it seems that zips you created were corrupt

also are these universal versions of the software?

3. Transeau thread starter macrumors 6502a

Transeau

How do you remove the .001 from the end and still unzip it?

There are 12 files .zip.001 ~ .zip.012.

And no, there is no Universal or x86 version of StuffIt

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

File: Get Info on the archive and remove the ending so it's just .zip. You might have a corrupt archive on your hands, which has happened to me before; you might be able to get some files out using freeware apps from versiontracker.com.

Good luck!
    -Chasen

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

If they're standard zip files, you could try unzip in Terminal.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Are you using stuffit or Apples built in unstuffer (bomarchive I think)? I had problems using this built in "garbage" program when I moved from 10.3 to 10.4 (I don't know why Apple dropped Stuffit after such a long run together). Try downloading the latest version of Stuffit from Smith Micro software http://www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html. I got errors all the time from my compressed folders until I downloaded Stuffit.

7. Transeau thread starter macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Wow

Did anyone actually read my post?

They are MULTI-PART zip files. Created with StuffIT 9.
    Did you read the fact that I have tried the built in unzip and StuffIt 10?

OMG

I'm sorry to get pissy, but out of 4 "mac" forums, not a single user has come up with an origonal thought. I know Mac's are simple, but I didn't expect the users to be just as simple.

8. Transeau thread starter macrumors 6502a

Transeau

For those that actually read my origonal post....

I've solved this.
    StuffIT Expander *IS* expading them.. VERY VERY slowly. At a rate of about 1MB every 2 minutes.

Im assuming that this can be explained by the fact that StuffIT is NOT an x86 or even universal application.

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Well, after that comment, I'm sure dozens of people will be lining up to help you. :rolleyes:

I was going to make a few suggestions... until I read your post above. Good luck.

10. Transeau thread starter macrumors 6502a

Transeau

As I said - I solved it on my own.

frankly, I don't care if I pissed off people that wont even read the whole post.

Great ideas posted... "remove the .001" - yeah, okay - so that StuffIt can't find the other 11 parts of the zip? How does that make sense?

Also, I explainded that I had tried both the built in and StuffIt - yet I was asked which I was using.

and on the other 3 forums, the general thought was "oh well, you have corrupt archives"

I just figured that someone would have a better idea.

My solution, Use terminal, look at the temp folder that StuffIT created, verify that the expanded file size was growning. (It was in fact growing)

So, for anyone who asks in the future about StuffIT not working on Multi-Part .zip's on an Intel Mac - It works, but it's VERY slow. (30 minutes past now and it's at 130M of 300M)

11. edwardsx macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. You need to go to:
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9545
    and get Split&Concat and it will put the files (.001 - .002 etc) back together and then you can reconstruct the file.