HELP ME!!!! BF2 question.

Discussion in 'Games' started by HunterPlatinum, Aug 25, 2006.

1. HunterPlatinum macrumors member

HunterPlatinum

:confused: So I have no problem admitting that I am a new mac user- i am just curious if my new Mac Book Pro will run Battlefield 2 once i install windows xp with bootcamp.

i got the base model-will this run the game ok or will i need to do some upgrades asap.?????

15.4-inch widescreen display
    1440×900 resolution
    2.0GHz Intel Core Duo(1)
    512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    4x SuperDrive
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    One FireWire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It'll run fine on medium to lower settings. So will Special Forces and all the other expansion packs.

3. HunterPlatinum thread starter macrumors member

HunterPlatinum

i have read that there is an issue with the sound drivers and that i might not be able to use my microphone to chat to other players- is this true? and if i increase my ram to 2gb will i be able to run the game on high settings? keep in mind i have the 128mb video card

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

More RAM won't help with high settings. It's all about the GPU for graphical settings. I have no idea about the mic, I don't use it.

5. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

Actually more RAM will definitely help the game, even more at high settings, since a number of the settings deal with the number of polygons onscreen, which in BF2 ranges from "a lot" to "a frickin' ton" since the maps are large and typically have a long draw distance. Running BF2 with 512MB is going to be less than astounding; BF2 loves RAM and would be happy with another gig even.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm I didn't see any increase in performance when I went from 1GB to 2GB.
    <shrug>

7. HunterPlatinum thread starter macrumors member

HunterPlatinum

so the fact that i have the 128mb card will not render my mac useless if i just increase my ram? i guess i am just trying to figure out if 128mb video card will be able to do as well as the 256mb card if i increase my ram?

8. HunterPlatinum thread starter macrumors member

HunterPlatinum

so the fact that i have the 128mb card will not render my mac useless if i just increase my ram? i guess i am just trying to figure out if 128mb video card will be able to do as well as the 256mb card if i increase my ram?

9. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

my 1.83 MacBook Pro (128MB Vram, 1.5GB RAM) runs BF2 at 144x900 with mostly high, but some medium, settings and 2xAA just fine.

VOIP works for me. Just make sure you have the latest BootCamp drivers. :)

10. HunterPlatinum thread starter macrumors member

HunterPlatinum