Help me build an external FW drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac000, Jan 21, 2007.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Is there a way i can build a 500GB drive that looks/acts like the G-Tech G-Drive for about $250?

I would need a HITACHI internal harddrive and a FW800 enclosure. I'm not sure where to start so I'm asking for some advice. Thanks

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

3. mac000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dont need a Hitachi, i just assumed G-Tech uses Hitachi in all their enclosures because they are better, hence their premium price

I was also trying to stay away from Seagate because I have this one external HD (Seagate) but it won't mount to my setup (MBP+external monitor). no matter what USB port i try (4 on monitor) 2 on MBP the drive won't mount. I just think its shot or something, I used it about a month ago on an intel imac and a macbook.

4. Locatel macrumors regular

Good quality enclosures are not cheap. The chipset quality is important so, if you want to built a good quality external HD (using a reputable HD), you'll end up saving $20 to $30, it's just not worth it, believe me. Get one from OWC. The Mercury Elite Pro FW 400/800, 500GB, costs $269.99.
    The unit is covered by a 2 year warranty + 3 year warranty for the HD (total of 5 years for the HD). They use Seagate HDs, wich are great, check it out:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/800/

5. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

The premium is for the nice-looking enclosure, not the hard drive.

More than likely it's the USB enclosure, not the hard drive. I once had a USB hard drive do that to me. I just took it apart, plugged the drive in another enclosure, got it to work, and then the really weird part is I put back in the old enclosure and it's worked there ever since... very odd...

If it is the hard drive, just go onto Seagate's site and RMA it. It costs you like $7 to send it back to Seagate and they send you a replacement.

As for which hard drive to use, do some research and put the quietest hard drive in it (probably seagate).

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

It's most definitely your enclosure. Seagate makes the best drives out there.

7. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

...and Seagate drives never fail...:rolleyes: :D

8. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Those Hitachi drives are pricey. So I got a Seagate with a 5, yes 5 (!) year waranty. Booya!

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

It's not that they never fail, but unless the drive is clicking, it's most likely the the bridge inside the enclosure.