Help me buy Gamecube titles in the UK

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dunepilot, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Okay, I've had my Gamecube for about 18 months now, but it's only recently that I realise that I've been missing out on a lot of the classic games (especially multiplayer games) and now that I try to locate them they seem to be out-of-print.

So, here are my questions:

1)Best place to buy GC games in the UK at the moment (retail or mailorder). Most retail seems to be stopping stocking GC games, which is a shame.
    2)Where can I get super smash bros? What about the monkey ball and other good multiplayer games?
    3)Which games, beside Metroid 2 and RE4 _should_ I own?

Thank you

2. Kaioshin macrumors member

Kaioshin

You can try ordering from http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/. I ordered there before and got the Phoenix Wright game, so I can say that they exist. They have the Smash Brothers and Monkey Ball games.

I'm afraid I cannot answer your third question, though, as that is way too subjective...

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Amazon sells SSBM, Monkey Ball should be easy to get off eBay.

You should have Pikmin 2, MGS: Twin Snakes, Soul Calibur II, SSBM, Wind Waker and if you like RE4, you'll like Eternal Darkness although you wouldn't be able to get it new.

4. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Thanks for the two replies so far.

I have Twin Snakes (not as approachable as the original on PS1), Soul Calibur II (one of my fave games ever). Will have a look at the others.

The local 'GAME' has a few pre-owned GC titles quite cheaply - anyone have Geist, Fifa 2003, GoldenEye or From Russia With Love? I know they're not int the classics but what do you think of them?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

some rules-

DO NOT go to Game. else face their pocket raping prices. they seem to be a little anti-Nintendo too so it's not good for Cube games. Amazing how they only knock off £5 for 2nd hand games. Heck in my local Game they're charging £35 for a second hand Phoenix Wright.

DO try GameStation. They're quite good at offering low second hand prices.

Best place, as always, is Froogle. You don't need anywhere else at all.

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

CEX can be good for picking up GC games second hand......

The problem is all the classic gamecube games are pretty pricey second hand you would be very lucky to pick them up at bargain prices,

SHadoW

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

If you're referring to GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, I had it. It was ok, but it seemed to me like it was just another FPS. There wasn't a whole lot of other stuff to it, and after I bought it and played it for a while, I kinda regretted spending the money on it. The dual-wield system was interesting, but I wish you could have kept some inventory of guns. I found myself running around searching for the right gun at some points.

8. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I went to Cex in Cardiff at the weekend and picked up LoZ WindWaker (£10); Pitfall (£6); some Tom Clancy game I haven't played yet (£6); Super Smash Bros (£14). They even gave me a free third-party joypad because they didn't know how much to charge for it, and didn't think it was worth much, not being the official design.

The staff were really keen and enthusiastic as well. So, thanks for the advice.

9. ljacky macrumors newbie

cdwow.co.uk has free shipping even to other countrys in europe. I get my ds and psp games there and they are much cheaper than here in denmark.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Oh, yeah, CDWow are great - they keep giving us £2.50 vouchers :p Not entirely sure why, but getting £5 off FFXI was nice :)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I tend not to use CD-WOW for GC cubes, they like to sell NTSC and I remember there was some issue a few years ago where they stocked an American version of a game and failed to point it out. but yea, I got Resident Evil (Cube) for £21 during its launch period which was very good!

12. belovedmonster macrumors regular

First rule of shopping

Only buy something from a shop if you cant get it on ebay first.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not really. From personal experience eBay is full of fake goods. I've yet to buy a single real GBA game from eBay.

14. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

The other argument against eBay is that there is such a thing as instant gratification (or only very slightly delayed, in the case of next day delivery)that you get from the retail experience. I don't always want to wait five days until an auction is about to end, only to get beaten on price by Bidnapper.

15. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

1) Ebay (does that count as mail order?!) or any second hand shop.
    2) Ebay
    3) I don't have a Gamecube (though considering they're about £30 second hand, I am considering it).

16. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

Some of my favorite Cube games are Paper Mario 2, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Animal Crossing.

Paper Mario 2 is a must have in my opinion.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

CEX are great. They have a heap of dreamcast games I want - very cheap. But they dont do mail order.... feck em :p

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Metroid Prime 1 IMHO is better than Metroid Prime 2.

Any and all Zelda titles (except Four Swords). So Zelda: The Wind Waker, and if you HAVEN'T played the Nintendo 64 version, get the port of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Paper Mario is pretty good.

Super Smash Bros is a MUST HAVE.

Mario Kart Double Dash is very good.

Super Mario Strikers is very good.

Super Mario Sunshine is awesome, buy it.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader is quite good, I'd recommend it.

Star Fox Assault has terrible and short single player that doesn't come anywhere near living up to StarFox 64, but great multiplayer.

In fact, just pick from this list.
    http://cube.ign.com/index/reviews.h...ribute=article.overall_rating&sort.order=desc

19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Also has Zeldas 1 and 2 and the uncompletable Majoras Mask (I always run out of time :()

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Why don't you just rewind time with the Ocarina? ;)

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Dont forget

Ikaruga
    Animal Crossing,
    F-Zero X
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Pikmin 1 & 2
    Resident Evil 4
    Tales of Symphonia
    Baten Kaitos
    Soul Calibur 2 (with link :) )
    Billy Hatcher
    WaveRace
    Starfox Adventures (I liked it)
    Battalion Wars
    Mario Golf
    Super Monkey Ball 2
    Eternal Darkness

22. belovedmonster macrumors regular

That sounds bizarre to me. :confused: If some 15yo is selling off their old GBA games now they dont want them how are they all gunna be fake. :confused:

With Ebay this guy will be able to get some kid's old cube and a bunch of kids' games (all real) for next to nothing.