Help me buy the right HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GanChan, Jul 2, 2005.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

Tomorrow I am going to hit Fry's, CC, etc. for an 80G external hard drive. Would like to keep the price down close to about $1.20 a gig, but only from a reliable brand. I have a 40G Mac Mini and would prefer firewire to USB, if only because I'm running out of USB ports and don't feel like also buying a hub.

Later I may want to buy a second 80G drive and daisy-chain it to this one.
    All I need right now is Mini backup and mp3 storage.

Any thoughts/advice?

2. Poeben macrumors 6502

Personally I like the LaCie drives. I have a 400GB big disk that is great. Since you are looking for a smaller drive and have a mini, maybe you should look at the Mini Mate which matches the mini nicely. I don't know the price, but if I recall it is reasonable. Plus it acts as a USB/firewire hub since you mention you are running out of those too.

good luck

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

the mini mate seems to be your ideal solution.

just my two cents.

4. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Have you ever considered building your own? Just buy a regular 3.5" HDD and an external enclosure. It's very easy to put one together. And you'll definitely beat the $1.20/GB cost.

For example, Fry's is selling a 200GB Seagate drive for $50 after rebate. Pick up an enclosure for $40 or so. That would put you at about $0.50/GB.

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats the way to go but unless you want a noisy drive steer clear of seagate's the 200gb ive got is a noisy whining MOFO and i cant be btohered to change it as it is deep within my eMac....

So go for a WD or hitachi and a nice enclosure and you are good to go..

ShadOW ;)

6. Switzermac macrumors regular

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Bothering with that would be pointless, as the mini doesn't have it.