Help Me Buy Upscale Computer Backpack Briefcase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vashti, Apr 9, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I am trying to buy my brother a birthday gift. He wants to shift from a briefcase to a backpack briefcase in order to have less strain on his back. He would carry his laptop and a pile of legal folders, as well as an iphone, ipad, cords, wallet, a book or magazine, etc. He makes a lot of presentations and wants it to look upscale and professional. He would also like a lot of pockets to separate out various things he needs. We (my family) are willing to spend up to $500, though would love to spend less if possible.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for the help!! :)

2. thread starter macrumors member

If I told you he was an awesome guy doing great work in the world and for his family and he had a really bad back, would that shake lose any replys - or am I just asking in the wrong place? :eek:

3. macrumors 6502

Problem is what you are looking for is basically the laptop storage equivalent of a mullet.

Despite the claims of a mullet being business in the front and party in the back the reality is there is very little business from any angle.

A backpack briefcase is going to make him look like a student, or an IT geek.

Not upscale and professional as requested.

4. macrumors member

easy...

Get him a MacBook Air! That'll help his back more than any backpack...

Seriously, backpack and business don't go together. If he carries a lot of stuff, maybe a wheeled briefcase is in order, and will give him a jet-set kind of look.

5. Vashti, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

thread starter macrumors member

Is there a case that will make him look less like a student or IT geek? So far, we have seen two that are in the right ballpark. There is a Briggs & Riley, which is very functional, but not that attractive. There is a Tumi which is very good looking, but less functional (less pockets, etc)

I was hoping someone here might know of something that married both.

6. macrumors newbie

As has been said, there are really no backpacks that look classy in a business environment. That said, when i travel i take an Everki Versa Premium Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Backpack. It is not perfect, but it holds up to a 15" MacPro and has a separate sleeve for an iPad which are in the same checkpoint friendly compartment. i have worn it with suits to board meetings, and while it is not the most stylish thing, it is pretty convenient at least for travel. :D

7. macrumors regular

8. macrumors 6502

7enderbender

If he does a lot of presentations in the real world that won't help him one bit - unless he also brings with him a sack full of real-world adapters. Mind you bringing along a version of PowerPoint that works in the real world.

9. macrumors demi-god

glenthompson

As a retired IT geek I have no problems with backpack type cases. I prefer the Targus and Brenthaven models. Basic black, nothing flashy, and fits into most business settings. Company issued Brenthaven even had corporate logo on it.

10. macrumors 6502a

I've seen a few suits walking with this Swissgear-GA-7305 and it looks good. Not IT geeky

11. macrumors newbie

Perhaps out of your budget, ...

... but this is perfect, looks more than a million dollars, transforms into whatever format is required to suit the occasion, and will last a lifetime.

http://www.hardgraft.com/collections/all/products/2unfold-allgrey

Apologies if this suggestion is somewhat moot because of the cost, but sometimes the hardest questions have demanding solutions!

edit: from your brief description of your brother, he sounds as though he's worth it.

12. flyersgl, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

macrumors member

You might want to check out Tumi backpacks--they have some really nice looking ones in the $300 - $500 range.

(oops, sorry, I see you looked at a Tumi)

13. macrumors 6502a

14. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the great tips. Some great looking bags here. I'm checking them all out.

Mslide, could you elaborate a bit? ;)