Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
I have a PMG4 867 and the cd wont eject.

1. I inserted a cdr from a client and it didn't show up on the desktop.
2. I hit the eject key on the keyboard.. no dice.
3. I restarted and held down the eject key.. it spins but nothing happens.. just makes a lot of noise until I let go.
4. I resterted again.. using the mouse button insted of the eject key... same thing.
5. I restarted and opened the firmware.. typed in eject cd... made more noise... but thats all

6 I reset the PRam.. and went through this all over again.. I hold down the keys for up to 3 minutes and nothing happens.

I don't see any switches in the drive or anything. Are there any other options?

I wish alphatech was here :(

Any ideas?

saint

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Sydney
do you have a hammer? :D jk

can you flip down the front of the drive door and stick a paper clip in the hole?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
you should check out OSXFAQ.com. i subscribed to Dr Macs OS X tips from there and they were really worth it.

i did have a document that told you how to use terminal to unmount a CD, but i can't find it. have a look at osxfaq.com and you should find something.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Terminal Mount/Unmount

Unix stuff :D

Once booted open the terminal and type mount. This will show you all the mounted filesytems and their mount points. You should be able to tell which are your hard drives from their mount point names. Look for something in /Volumes. Once you work out which is the CD type umount <mount point>|<device name> Then try typing eject (no idea if this works in OSX, never tried it).

FatTony

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
The simplest solution from back in the day of booting off floppies: hold down the mouse button during startup, your CD should be ejected. Works for me!

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by FatTony
The simplest solution from back in the day of booting off floppies: hold down the mouse button during startup, your CD should be ejected. Works for me!

he said that didn't work...

what about calling apple or an apple reseller or something?

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Originally posted by saint
can you flip down the front of the drive door and stick a paper clip in the hole?

there is no hole. thanks though.

Originally posted by brogers
This happened to me once and I restarted while holding down the "C" key and it ejected during startup....just a thought.

didn't work. thanks anyway

Originally posted by cb911
you should check out OSXFAQ.com. i subscribed to Dr Macs OS X tips from there and they were really worth it.

i did have a document that told you how to use terminal to unmount a CD, but i can't find it. have a look at osxfaq.com and you should find something.

cool site. i'll see what they suggest.

Originally posted by robbieduncan
Unix stuff :D

Once booted open the terminal and type mount. This will show you all the mounted filesytems and their mount points. You should be able to tell which are your hard drives from their mount point names. Look for something in /Volumes. Once you work out which is the CD type umount <mount point>|<device name> Then try typing eject (no idea if this works in OSX, never tried it).

good call. The only problem is that the computer won't boot with the drive connected. I have to disconnect the CD from the motherboard in order to boot up. Otherwise it just hangs on the grey screen. I can't even get a "happy mac" unless I disconnect the cable. Thanks anyway.

Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
what about calling apple or an apple reseller or something?
I took it to an apple shop this afternoon. They will take it apart and replace the superdrive. Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate the suggestions.. but there was nothing I could do other than bust it open.

Good times.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
at least it was still under warranty. it was under warranty, wasn't it?

anyway, let us know if the Apple store finds out whats wrong with the drive.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
No hole?

I'm not trying to be belligerent, but are SURE there is no hole? I was under the assumtion that this was standard on EVERY drive. It is not on the bezel, but behind it on the drive panel itself. I don't have a QS, but I know that on my 733 DA the Superdrive has one on the bottom right of the drive behind the bezel. Once again, I'm not suggesting you are not right, just making sure.

Gus

saint

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Sydney
That's what I meant when I suggested that before. Flip the front flappy thing down, there must be a hole there somewhere. Otherwise, maybe it is on the top or side of the drive- see if you can get at it from inside the machine.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I have a QS dual 800 and you'd have to remove the whole front panel to get to the hole, because, if there is one and I think there is, it's well hidden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.