help me choose a new domain name

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cb911, Oct 18, 2005.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well my old domain mugget.com has been snatched up by a company and they're holding it ransom for $200. :mad:

(yes, i forgot to re-register it. and they probably sent out an email, but i had my old emal addy set. soo... yeah it's my fault really. still - i'm not at all happy with companies that do this... no intent to use the name - they just want to get your money.)

well screw that - i'm getting a new domain.

so i've come to ask for people's ideas.

i did use 'mugget' because that's my online name for every forum (except here :p), IRC channel etc.

but that's not really such a great name... my plan is to use my site for my graphic design and digital art portfolio. although i do have a blog on the main page - it would be a semi-business site. and i want to keep it easy to remember - so i've only been thinking of .com domains so far, for that reason.

some possibilities so far:

n0gg.com (i dunno - just popped into my head)
    mugg3t.com (that is if i stick with 'mugget' - but i'm really looking for a new name...)

so any name ideas would be appreciated. :D
    post your names, no matter how crazy!

2. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

3. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

If you're planning it to be a semi-business site, I'd stay away from semi-1337 domain names, first because it's unprofessional, and second because it will lead to confusion. You could use muggit.com if you want to stay close to your older name.

As for anything else...I dunno, SugaSpice, Razataz, FoamBat...well, that's what popped up in my head at least.

Heh, we we're just talking about the Starbuck's logo the other day in History of Graphic Design.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't choose anything that sounds like something else, forcing you to spell it to people so they get it right.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

As a complete aside to everything related to this thread, your avatar just synched up with the music I'm listening to, and it was highly disturbing. :eek: :D

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

7. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

8. njstaffer macrumors regular

How 'bout CB911.com? Since you used your name before, why not again, new domain, new name.

P.S. I liked FoamBat, think I might look into that one myself, it's nice and random.

9. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

How about muggle.com? It sounds a bit like the last one, plus, you might be able to sell it to J.K. Rowling if she ever decides to expand harrypotter.com :cool:

10. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

muggle... hrm... well i'm trying to move away from the whole 'mugget' name now. but i wonder if moogle.com is taken? anywa - that wouldn't be good - would make me sound like a search engine or something. :p

i've also found a heaps of name generators here:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/print/name-generators-reviewed

so i've been using them - trying to come up with something. i'm not sure if the new name will go with a 'design' of 'vfx' theme or something more abstract... but i've given myself a week to think something up. so hopefully...

thanks for the help so far. FoamBat is an interesting name... i might not use that one though. :p

what do you think about having 'studio' in the name? to me it seems a bit... like you're trying to hard.

11. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

how about tunaslurpee.com?! lol
    you can be my web designer....just a thought..

no name it paintingwithphillbrook.com

12. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

lol. tunaslurpee. :p

well i have got my site back up and running again - with the new name:
    PostPixel.com.au

PostPixel.com was taken already, by a post production company. but .com.au is alright. well i am in Australia. :p

thanks for all the suggestions. i managed to get that name out after scribbling lots and lots of stuff over the course of a week or so. i'm really happy with it. now just got get some more content up there... :D

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice. :)

I can't get through without using the www part, I wonder why...:confused:

14. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

strange... i can just copy&paste and Safari adds the "http://" and it all works.

maybe that's something our web-guru's could explain...

what browser were you using?

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's the latest Safari and the only other page I've noticed the same problem with is ITWarehouse.com.au which must have the URL www.itwarehouse.com.au entered or it'll display a corrupted site for me. It's a little bizarre but considering they're both Australian sites, maybe you share an ISP or something.

Oh, by the way, it works once it's in the cache. So now that I've been once I can happily type simply postpixel.com.au and get there. It's just that first time that it has trouble. I'm not sure that it's a browser-based problem, but I could be wrong. :)

Cool site by the way. :cool:

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks MontyZ. I don't know much about web page design but that seems to make sense. :)

So, that begs the question as to whether cb911's site has the same issues...

17. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

strange... i've got the latest Safari, up to date OS X, etc.

that ITWarehouse.com.au site also corrupts for me without the "www".

btw - i'm hosted on a U.S. server. :p
    don't ask me why... it was just the cheapest when i was looking a few years ago. but they've put their prices up, and i'm thinking i should switch hosts to WebCentral? i registered my domain through them as well, good service and support. :)

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It only works if I've already been there using the www in the URL. There's another site that's the same but I forget which. Hopefully it'll come to me later. I think the ITWarehouse problem is different because it'll at least give me a jambled page whereas these others (including cb911's) time out on me with blank pages. All very confusing.

19. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

20. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

yeah. squatters. :mad:

ahwell what can you do?
    btw - that's a serious questoin... if anyone has some ideas... [​IMG]

but funnily enough i think this has worked out well. i always intended to use my site for semi-business purposes - but mugget.com... what the hell was that?! :p just a 'net name i'd used...

this new name is alot more 'business-like'. so at least everything worked out. :)

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Something I don't understand is that the whois for mugget.com still lists you as the owner :confused:

22. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

yeah i don't know what's going on with that. :confused:

i did email RegisterFly (who i registered Mugget.com through) but they never got back to me. :mad:
    i should keep chasing this up...

if anyone has any theories as to why my name is still there on the WhoIs i'd like to hear it.