Help me choose a Premiership team!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aloofman, Jul 19, 2006.

1. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

So I've been thinking for a while that I need a soccer/football team to root for. Unlike most Americans, I've enjoyed the sport long past the age of 8, I like watching the World Cup, and the crazy-fan factor helps distinguish it from the other sports I follow (baseball, basketball, hockey, U.S. football, in descending order). In order to really get into it, I'm going to need a team to support, and therefore, other teams to vilify.

In terms of being able to see the games in person, our local MLS affiliate, the Los Angeles Galaxy, is the obvious choice. And I have been to some of their games. (They DO have a very nice new stadium, although even their old stadium, the Rose Bowl, is historic and worth visiting.) But it goes without saying that the MLS lacks experience, tradition, and talent. For someone who wants to raise their enthusiasm and knowledge of the game, MLS is a lame option.

The Premier League is the clear choice for that, so now I have to choose a team. I'm going to start watching more games to get familiar with the teams and players. A recent analysis from an American in a similar situation can be found here. So if you want to see his observations and confirm/refute them, be my guest.

A few factors that matter much more to me than a fan who already lives in England:

1) I have to be able to see the games on TV here. Since only the top 6-8 teams get consistently shown here, that's pretty limiting.

2) I'm not interested in supporting Manchester United. Too much hype. And it would be like someone new to baseball calling me up and saying they want to be a Yankees fan.

3) The team has to have a legitimate shot at finishing in the top five. I don't need to see a championship every year, but I need to have reasonable hope through most of the season. I won't switch teams though. If my team takes a horrible downturn five years from now, that's just the way it goes.

4) The team has to be fun to watch. I'm sure all the partisans will claim that THEIR team is always fun to watch, but most teams know it isn't so. I don't need a lot of goals so much as I want to see scoring chances, an attacking style. (From my early investigations, this seems to make Arsenal a contender.)

5) Because of #3, I'll probably be accused of being a frontrunner, but I'm not especially worried about that. Since I don't have any built-in geographical bias that shaped my loyalties at an early age (the way the Dodgers and Lakers have for me here), I'm not betraying my long-time friends with my choice. And there aren't many American fans of the smaller teams anyway, so I'm not really going to take much face-to-face abuse for it.

All suggestions and twisted rationales are welcome and thanks in advance!

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm one of those people who would say that you need to support your local team, but as we've already ruled that out (and I'm not holding out much hope of encouraging you to be a Hull City supporter ;)), I'd probably suggest Tottenham Hotspur. They're building up a young team who – although they're not likely to go winning the title just yet – may well be able to get together a good enough side to mix it with the top four over the next few seasons. They finished fifth last season playing some good football, only just missing out on fourth place to arch rivals Arsenal. They occasionally put together good cup runs (and they're playing in Europe this season, in the UEFA Cup), usually accompanied by a memorable Chas 'n' Dave tune.

To be honest though, I wouldn't base your choice on which team is most likely to win stuff. I'd watch the football, and over time you're likely to find your affections being drawn to a particular team – maybe through their style of play, maybe because they have a player or two you particularly admire. And it's a good excuse to watch a lot of footie as you try to find 'your' team. ;)

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I've become a fan of Liverpool lately because a friend of mine from work came from the UK and that was his favorite team. You can only hold out for so long against the incessant praise for Steven Gerrard, et al. (though he doesn't like Peter Crouch, robot dance or no) before you give in.

If you're trying to restrict your viewership to teams that have a legitimate shot at holding on to the top spots of the Premiership, you've not that many options:

Chelsea
    Manchester United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Newcastle (though with Owen out for the better part of next season, can't be too optimistic about their chances)

Then you've got a bunch of teams that seem to contend for just outside of those top spots...

Everton
    Blackburn
    Middlesbrough
    Aston Villa

I'd suggest against Chelsea or Man Utd... both evil empires. Think of them as the Yankees of the Premiership... if it's a big team you're after, that seem to do well (at least from my memory) both in the Premiership and European competitions, I'd say Liverpool or Arsenal are your best bets.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I tell you what you should do, aloofman – make it a poll. List all twenty Premiership teams and whoever comes out with the most votes by, say, Saturday 12 August* is the team you're going to support. :D

*That's a week before the season kicks off. Just enough time to get yourself sorted with a shirt and memorise the squad. ;)

5. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Hey. :)

In my entirely unbiased opinion, I have to say Arsenal or Liverpool.

You mention wanting to support a top team who will be shown on TV over there.. that gives you Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea, (Tottenham), Newcastle maybe...

Out of those teams, for lack of attractive football and general lack of soul I would rule out Chelsea and Man U. Tottenham you may consider, but I really can't even face that prospect. Newcastle are on there way down so..

Liverpool are a team who are passionately supported.. and thats why I pick them. They tend to play good, attacking football.. and are fun to watch. Gerrard is a great player to admire and watch.

Arsenal play the most attacking, aesthetically pleasing football in this country (;)), quite largely due to the presence of Thierry Henry. He has gotten the golden boot (most goals) many seasons in a row, and really is amazing to watch. Aside from him, Arsenal are always looking to keep playing good football.. and always will do while Wenger is in charge. He swears by playing the game "as it was meant to be played".. fast, one touch passes etc.

What the hell.. you'll make your own mind up as Jaffa says.. and thats the best way to do it. I do promise you though.. if you compare Arsenal's football to Chelsea's.. I can tell you which you will prefer watching.

-Jack
    (Diehard Arsenal :p :D)

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The list of potential top finishers is a good one. Take that list - look at their players and see if which club has most of the ones that you've enjoyed watching.

Have a look at their strips and figure out what colour suits you best - it's a luxury that local fans don't have.

Have a look at their neighbourhoods and figure out, if you got really into it and got the chance to come over for a game, which one you'd prefer visiting.

I have friends who've done the same, in reverse, for the NFL to decide which team to support.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

You probably aren't interested in another option and you may not even get Latin American Football on channels where you are, but I've enjoyed their league play for years. Of course, we live in S.A.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

True enough – it's a little awkward sometimes to find something that'll go with amber. :eek:

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Actually, if you want an unbiased way to pick a team, why not choose the one that is closest to the colours that your favourite pro/college baseball/football/basketball team wears?

10. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

The OP linked to it too ;) I just read it from there. I like Bill Simmons. His Sports Guy columns are usually pretty entertaining. When the Red Sox won the World Series, it was so funny reading it from the viewpoint of him and his dad.

12. Queso macrumors G4

You don't get to choose your football team, it chooses you. Watch a few matches and see which team excites you the most. Your heart will tell you which is the one for you.

:)

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That's not a bad idea, unless of course his favourite team play in white and he's encouraged by that to start supporting Bolton. ;)

Another idea might be this – what are the characteristics of your favourite baseball or basketball team? Are they famous for their attacking play, or are they more defensively minded? Do they take the game to their opponents, or do they play more tactically, absorb the pressure and hit them on the break?

If there's a style of play that you're used to watching and admire, it might be an idea to look at teams who have a similar approach – I'd imagine they're more likely to appeal to you. :)

14. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I'm another Ameree-kan who's been toying with the notion of following the Premiership more closely.

My interest in most American sports has really dwindled over the past seven or eight years. I used to be rabidly into the NFL and MLB and would keep a close eye on the NBA, but I haven't watched the NFL or NBA in years, and barely keep half an eye on how the San Francisco Giants are doing. The only sport I really follow very closely at all nowadays is college basketball, but I've passionately watched the past four World Cups and the past two Euro Championships.

The thing is, I have always had an affinity for the city of Manchester, being a longtime fan of Factory Records, Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, &c. So I always feel a bit self-divided about holding Man Utd in slightly higher regard than some of the other clubs. Man City doesn't seem like much of an alternative -- while I greatly enjoy pulling for the underdog, that might be taking it a bit too far. I guess the other two clubs that stood out to me were Liverpool and Arsenal, or West Ham if I really want a dark horse.

Hmm, liked the Simmons article. Perhaps there's a trend brewing here.

15. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

LIVERPOOL!!!!! If you want to see amazing attacking play, but no goals,theyre the ones to watch lol But seriously, liverpool have rgeat great player and some, hopefully, great new signings!

You might be able to tell, I'm a Liverpool fan!

Cheers

16. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    If you have any English ancestry you can root for the team closest to where your family is from. You could also choose to root for Reading because they just made it to the EPL for the first time and have Marcus Hahnemann and Bobby Convey on their team.

17. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah I kinda agree with this. Anywayz, Chelsea should be stronger this coming season...

18. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Chelsea to me are like the Bulls of the '90s and the Lakers of the early '00s, and Mourinho is Phil Jackson.

You have the greatest teams money can buy, how good does the coach actually have to be to win titles? I couldn't stand those Bulls or Lakers (well, I am a Pistons fan) and Phil Jackson has to be one of the most overrated coaches in sports history (again, from a Pistons fan perspective).

For me, both Chelsea and Manchester United are out... Arsenal and Liverpool have more of an underdog quality that I like.

19. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

very good post. if it's not your local team that you pick (which we know is not a factor in your case) then this is the best way to go about it.

however, i can bet money that you'll end up a Liverpool fan...there's a huge thread dedicated to them on this forum and they are usually up there at the top of the "fair play" table...

Bill Shankly was one of the greatest managers to have ever lived.

oh, and you'll need to learn to sing, Liverpool fans are rather well known for their singing, "You'll Never Walk Alone" for one.
    check out our (LFCNY) PodCast for some more info on LFC, click on the LFCNY link in my sig and take a look around :)

20. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I would agree. The Spurs are also one of the most Britsh teams in the Premiership (although that probably doesn't matter to you), they are becoming a good side under Martin Jol and we develop a good team. 3 teams to avoid like the plague are: Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal. Liverpool is another good choice who tend to finish high aswell.

21. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Just you watch. West Ham will excell themselves. Each season, i switch teams as i do not follow football that closely and pick my favourite team out of those promoted and this year, it is West Ham. I like supporting this way, it is more exciting getting to know new players and watch how well they do in their first season.

22. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

AMEN TO THAT:D

Cheers

23. satty macrumors 6502

I can only agree. I've chosen my favourite New Zealand NPC rugby team by the colour. So I can wear the nicest jerseys in the world, independent of the team is playing good or bad (actually my rugby team, Otago or Otago Highlanders, is not that great at the moment). Here in England I support London Harlequins. I like colourful jerseys :)

Okay, now you guys can talk about football again.

24. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Chelsea or Man utd.

Chelsea probably.... thats who you should pick.

If it comes down to Arsenal and Liverpool.... pick arsenal.

25. satty macrumors 6502

That is a very good answer.

There are lots of successful teams out there that play not so nice looking - we might even want to call it boring - football. You don't want to bore yourself to death only to see that.