Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
BakedBeans said:
I was talking more of success really but, i sort of see your point.
If we're talking success, Liverpool would easily compare with a team like the Yankees or the Boston Celtics or Lakers in basketball. But when it comes to spending... how much did Manchester splash for Ruud or Rooney? How much did Chelsea spend for Shevchenko? When was the last time a team in the Premiership splashed out more than 20 million pounds for a player that wasn't named Chelsea or Manchester United? So clearly, Manchester United and Chelsea are in a class by themselves when it comes to spending money... just look at the Yankees and Red Sox salaries for 2005:

The Red Sox had 9 players make over $5,000,000 last year (one of whom now plays for the Yankees)... of which only two of those made over $10,000,000. Top earners were Ramirez at $22,000,000 and Schilling at $14.5 million.

The Yankees had 14 players make over $5,000,000 last year, of which 10 made over $10,000,000 with 5 of those making over $15,000,000. Tops were A-Rod at $26,000,000 with Jeter and Mussina rounding it out at $19.6 and $19 million.

So while you have some iconic players at teams like Arsenal and Liverpool (Gerrard, Lehmann, Henry, Cole)... Man Utd and Chelsea seem to have almost too many to know what to do with. You could almost send those two to the next World Cup and be surprised if they didn't make at least the second round... :)

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
OT, but... does anyone here play football management games? Championship Manager, Football Manager, etc.?

I like taking small teams to the Premier League... I find it fun to build teams from the ground up and take them from the lower conferences. Just took Cambridge United from the (forget the name of the conference) to the Premier League. Took me like seven seasons, though... Hey, if I can take a minnow like that up to the EPL, maybe I should quit my day job! ;)

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
BakedBeans said:
Have the 'braves' won the european cup 5 times? have the braves won the league 18 ttimes? are the braves the most successful team in the league. do the braves play the worlds biggest sport.

The Braves have won 2 World Series in the last 50 years, but more relevantly, they've had a recent string of regular season success and playoff disappointment. Since 1991 they have always been in the playoffs, but only in 1995 did they actually win the title. So you'd be looking for a Premiership equivalent of that, a perennial contender that seems to always come up a little short.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
medea said:
Not to be harsh but this sounds ***** lame. Support whoever you like! Hmmm, I love watching the Tour but I don't know who to support? Someone please tell me who I should be devoted to!

I seem to recall that I was asking for info on the teams so I could decide, not asking someone to tell me who to root for (although given the loyalties involved, that was bound to happen too). I just noticed a massively long Premier League thread and figured there were a bunch of people here who were more familiar with the teams, players and fans than I was.

Keep up that misanthropy! :rolleyes:

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
BakedBeans said:
so, who's it to be

I hope to decide by the start of the new season, so I have almost a month. I'm Tivoing all the games being rerun on Fox Soccer Channel, so that should cinch it. I have narrowed it down to a few teams though.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
aloofman said:
I hope to decide by the start of the new season, so I have almost a month. I'm Tivoing all the games being rerun on Fox Soccer Channel, so that should cinch it. I have narrowed it down to a few teams though.

jut dont watch the european cup final of 2005 :)

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
aloofman said:
I would go with Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, or Liverpool. Because of their size, they get alot of games on American TV. Also, on Gol TV (FSC is 613, GOL is 614 on DirecTV), they have blocks of 3 hours where they show like "Liverpool" or "Arsenal Television" where they play old games. Disclaimer -- I loves me some Arsenal.

Also, you may want to decide on a Serie A team to root for (FSC shows Serie A and EPL matches, almost exclusively; GOL will show games from pretty much anywhere). Seeing as 3 major clubs are out, its basically down to Inter, AC Milan, and AS Roma. I think that I may have settled on Roma.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
ham_man said:
Also, you may want to decide on a Serie A team to root for. Seeing as 3 major clubs are out, its basically down to Inter, AC Milan, and AS Roma. I think that I may have settled on Roma.
When I first started watching football, one of the first teams I ever rooted for was AC Milan.

Let's see.. other teams I've passively rooted for:

Celtic (cause of the Catholic thing, though I haven't gone to church regularly for like 10 years... booo to Protestants!! :))
Barcelona (foreign student at my college, she came from Barcelona :))

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
There's already a how-to article

Hey Aloofman check out this article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719

Bill Simmons beat you to it. If not for the fact that your still picking a team (and you mentioned that you are a Laker's fan) I'd think that you were him. I'm a huge Sportsguy fan - especially the NBA draft. Check out his archive on http://www.espn.com

I really don't have anything else to add.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Phat Elvis said:
Hey Aloofman check out this article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719

Bill Simmons beat you to it. If not for the fact that your still picking a team (and you mentioned that you are a Laker's fan) I'd think that you were him. I'm a huge Sportsguy fan - especially the NBA draft. Check out his archive on http://www.espn.com

I really don't have anything else to add.
That was linked way back in the original post, by the original poster himself. :)

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
oops. I scanned most of the pages to see if anyone had referenced it. Probably should have completely read the original post. Mea culpa.

I'm leaning towards the spurs too - but just so I can jump on the bandwagon:rolleyes: . Seriously, if he is going to be writing about them then I may learn a lot about the team.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I live in Sheffield UK and I have been an FCBarcelona (spain) fan for 10 years. They play the best football in the world I can bravely say not many people would argue that. When I was 15 I wasnt really into football/soccer but I saw Ronaldo (the fat one, not the gay one) score a wonder goal for Barça and since then I have been a barça fan through the good and the bad. Right now its freakin brilliant - what with European Championship and all!

I saw a reply to the OP saying watch a few games and choose a team that excites you. Thats exactly what i did. Or you can choose a team that you have some connection to. Maybe you visited the city or you know someone from there.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Arsenal

They aren't just about money.* They are about creating a true team.

Thierry Henry is simply one of the most exciting footballers you could possibly hope to watch, and a nice guy as well.

rumbletum

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
Wolverhampton, UK
stuartluff said:
I live in Sheffield UK and I have been an FCBarcelona (spain) fan for 10 years. They play the best football in the world I can bravely say not many people would argue that. When I was 15 I wasnt really into football/soccer but I saw Ronaldo (the fat one, not the gay one) score a wonder goal for Barça and since then I have been a barça fan through the good and the bad. Right now its freakin brilliant - what with European Championship and all!

How the chuff can you be from Sheffield* and not support (one of) your local team(s)?

*Assuming you are from Sheffield, and not an exiled Spaniard

rumbletum

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
Wolverhampton, UK
Jaffa Cake said:
I agree totally, although in fairness to the OP unless it's top top flight he's not going to be able to see games screened regularly in the US. Some of my favourite football watching memories are from lower league matches. *wipes nostalgic tear*

You've not lived until you've seen your team knocked out of the LDV Vans by Sc*nthorpe on a cold, drizzly Tuesday evening... :D

LOL, As the fan of a lower league team, not being able to see the match has been something I've wished for on many a Saturday afternoon :D

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
rumbletum said:
How the chuff can you be from Sheffield* and not support (one of) your local team(s)?

*Assuming you are from Sheffield, and not an exiled Spaniard

If you actually read my post :rolleyes: it clearly states why! ;)

What team do you support?

rumbletum

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
Wolverhampton, UK
stuartluff said:
If you actually read my post :rolleyes: it clearly states why! ;)

What team do you support?

I did read your post, still can't understand it though :p

I subscribe to the Frank Skinner method of choosing a football team - "You sit with a pencil, a ruler, and a map, identify the nearest professional football club to your place of birth, you buy a scarf with their name on it and that's that"

I support Wolves btw (and often wonder how less depressing Saturday afternoons would be if I'd been born in Manchester :D )

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
rumbletum said:
I subscribe to the Frank Skinner method of choosing a football team - "You sit with a pencil, a ruler, and a map, identify the nearest professional football club to your place of birth, you buy a scarf with their name on it and that's that"

Two questions:

1) Since I'm in California, which squad is farthest southwest?

2) It's currently 106 degrees F (41 C) outside. What the hell am I going to do with a scarf? :p

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
here is my 'team of team'
basically unchanged for many many years, derived from geographic allegiance, friends, favorite players or games seen.

MSL: New York Red Bulls
EPL: Arsenal (and a sympathy for Hull)
Serie A: Inter Milan
La Liga: Barca
Ligue 1: PSG
Bundesliga: M'gldbach
Erendivisie: Ajax
Argentina: River Plate
Brazil: Flamengo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.