Help me connect an old Apple Personal LaserWriter

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rdowns, Jan 4, 2004.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I have an old Apple Personal LaserWriter that I would like to use again.

I would like to connect it through an Ethernet Broadband Router that I use to drive my Mac and PC laptop. Is this possible?

Tha LW has the old AppleTalk connector.

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

BTW, the hardware you will need is from Farallon, it's called "EtherMac iPrint Adapter". It's 2 small devices which converts your ethernet cable to Appletalk connector. It works fine under os 9.2.2 and below, onlything is I can't get a driver that supports postscript 1 in os X.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have my personal laserwriter NT running again. 10.2.8 does have the driver in the printmanager app. Earlier versions of os X didn't support it. Just to let you know!

5. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

I ordered the Farallon product today. I'm running Panther but will give this a shot.

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The Farallon EtherMac Iprint Adapter (model PN 559) converts the networkcable to a modemcable/telephone line and that you will have to insert in a small gray box (doesn't have anything on it, no text, no manufacturer or model number). One end has two "modem" sockets, the other end has a small cable with an Appletalk connector on it. Make sure you have the small gray box, else it's useless! I saw on ebay that people are selling them, but without the gray box. In the original package the gray box is included! Setup is very easy. Goodluck!

7. thecow macrumors 6502