Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KillaMac

Suspended
Original poster
May 25, 2013
I am one of the Note 7 users that got screwed. I had a IP7+ (one of the first ones) and returned it because of popping and static noises coming from the phone that irritating me. It seems the first batch was bad, but the later ones may not have that issue any more.

Now, I got to see a new LG V20, and it was very snappy, faster than my N7 I believe. Mostly all the same features as the N7 except the spen. Battery life is still questionable. I liked how it felt in my hand, felt very sturdy and high quality.

LG V20, Pixel XL or IP7+.......is the question. I can't decide. I just can't figure out how to decide either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The ip7+ 256gb is soooo expensive, but I ended up paying for it yesterday because it was the only size Verizon had and I can't be without my phone for 2-4 weeks. I'm also a Note 7 survivor, I feel like we are in a AA meeting here. 2 days Note 7 sober...

The LG is interesting. I haven't had a LG in a couple of years, but I remember them as a good company overall. But if battery is an issue you can't beat the 7+, that thing is just amazing on battery. Plus having the resale value is always nice.

KillaMac

Suspended
Original poster
May 25, 2013
The ip7+ 256gb is soooo expensive, but I ended up paying for it yesterday because it was the only size Verizon had and I can't be without my phone for 2-4 weeks. I'm also a Note 7 survivor, I feel like we are in a AA meeting here. 2 days Note 7 sober...

The LG is interesting. I haven't had a LG in a couple of years, but I remember them as a good company overall. But if battery is an issue you can't beat the 7+, that thing is just amazing on battery. Plus having the resale value is always nice.

Yeah, no doubt. I saw some pics of the LG and wasn't impressed compared to the iPhone and Pixel XL. I am really now leaning towards the Pixel and iPhone now....hmmmmm.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lol, we need to form a club. My husband and his friend are in the same quandary. Hubby invested in accessories such as two wireless charging pads and his truck has a wireless charging pad built in, so he's probably going with the S7Edge, which he really liked a lot when it was his loaner.

His friend tried to get the IPhone 7Plus but AT&T won't have any to offer him until the last week of December! :eek: So he doesn't know what he's going to do.

Yesterday I had been all set to trade my Note 7 in for a beautiful matte black iPhone 7. The box was right there in front of me. But then they found out their support center staff had gone home and they couldn't process my trade (because it wasn't another Samsung). So I left with one more day to mull over my decision and ended up taking an entirely different path...

I put in my order tonight for the black smaller 128 GB Pixel. I think it was all they had left for preorder.

It's so weird...they call it a preorder but they use the terms "sold out" and "out of stock". :rolleyes: Okay....well anyway it doesn't matter because the model I wanted was still available. I should get it around November 25th.

I had an online chat session with a Google rep early yesterday afternoon about whether or not the Pixel could record stereo audio. She didn't know so she had to find out. She was nice and the chat session was fun. She finally got the answer that it does have that capability. So I thought about it all yesterday and today and finally decided to preorder because I also want to see the new Google Assistant in action.

I had been interested in LG V20, but I'm a petite woman and that's a big phone. I could make it work as a pocket computer but reading about the frustrations from G5 and V10 owners about boot looping, I shared their concerns that the V20 could also be at risk for that. Especially after noticing the demo unit at AT&T was running the hottest of all the display models there.

After everything I've been through with the Note7, I decided to give it a skip even though I was badly tempted by its audiophile centric feature set. I also just didn't jive well with the user interface for the camera.

But Google's new phone is also a huge unknown for me. Snapdragon 821 is new and unknown. :confused: I'm an idiot. :rolleyes:

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
In the same boat. Begrudgingly going V20. Already had a s7e. Great phone, but the curves annoyed me.

Just biding my time until s8 comes out

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
If you care about software updates,dont go near LG.Also I dislike their launcher.Apart from that its a very good phone now that Note 7 is dead.If you care about battery life though,I expect the 7 Plus to last much longer

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I am one of the Note 7 users that got screwed. I had a IP7+ (one of the first ones) and returned it because of popping and static noises coming from the phone that irritating me. It seems the first batch was bad, but the later ones may not have that issue any more.

Now, I got to see a new LG V20, and it was very snappy, faster than my N7 I believe. Mostly all the same features as the N7 except the spen. Battery life is still questionable. I liked how it felt in my hand, felt very sturdy and high quality.

LG V20, Pixel XL or IP7+.......is the question. I can't decide. I just can't figure out how to decide either.

Tricky, I have the Nexus 5, the only LG phone I've ever owned, and I still find it's screen to be stunning. Doesn't the V20 have a dual camera like the IP7+?
I would probably get an LG as I would bulk at the iPhones cost, in the UK that is.

KillaMac

Suspended
Original poster
May 25, 2013
I actually decided to get the IP7+. Because of LG's history of boot loop issues I didn't want to take a chance. I may still pay cash for a Pixel XL though...depending if I can get my hands on one.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I actually decided to get the IP7+. Because of LG's history of boot loop issues I didn't want to take a chance. I may still pay cash for a Pixel XL though...depending if I can get my hands on one.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that, very very very strange bug to have, I assume it's a software bug. Better to have a phone that usually works then one that randomly reboots endlessly.

Reactions: KillaMac

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have the iP7+ 128gb, and still have about 60gigs left of storage. I usually use much more storage on my Android phones. Something about the freedom of file manager, drag n drop, and access to my files anyway I want that has me filling up more storage on Android.

I'll be trading in my Note 7 as soon as the V20 is released with T-mobile. I'll definitely compare with my iP7+.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I had the Note 7 twice (original and refurb). Ended up going with the IP7+. No other android phone really interested me. Pretty happy with it although it can be so boring coming from the Note. But it's such a stable phone and overall everything works extremely well, especially with my other idevices.

Reactions: MRU and KillaMac

KillaMac

Suspended
Original poster
May 25, 2013
I have the iP7+ 128gb, and still have about 60gigs left of storage. I usually use much more storage on my Android phones. Something about the freedom of file manager, drag n drop, and access to my files anyway I want that has me filling up more storage on Android.

I'll be trading in my Note 7 as soon as the V20 is released with T-mobile. I'll definitely compare with my iP7+.
I am considering buying a v20 or pixel as a backup phone and swap between the 7 plus and it when I want android.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC and MRU

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Well here I am back again to this forum thanks to the Note 7. Damn. Had my Note 5. Then went iPhone 6s Plus. Sold that and went with the Note 7. Now looking at going back to iPhone I guess with the 7plus, or the LG v20. At least I have my Nexus 6p to use in the interim while I figure this out. Thanks Samsung....Another fine mess you left us all in here.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Didn't get a chance to go to AT&T today, busy tomorrow so I may not be able to go tomorrow either. Thinking I'll stick with my Note 5, I really like having the spen plus I like touchwiz so I think that will be my best bet for now, neither the Pixel or V20 offer that. May take advantage of the iPhone promo from AT&T if I can still get it and get the smaller iPhone 7. Already missing having a waterproof phone.

Reactions: MRU

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ah yeah, I forgot about that, very very very strange bug to have, I assume it's a software bug. Better to have a phone that usually works then one that randomly reboots endlessly.
It seems related to an overheating problem.

I ended up with an S7 Edge. My husband decided he wanted one. He still has the wireless charging pads he bought for the Note and his car has one built in. Plus there's some kind of conference thing he does for work that works easier on Android or Samsung or something. So he got the rep to reinstate the original and now well expired and dead BOGO deal we used to buy 2 Notes originally. So I essentially got my s7edge for free. I love it so far. In some ways it's actually better than my Note7 was. It definitely has better autocorrect. The edges don't bother me. It has the best low light camera of the four Samsung I have used so far. And it's running cool so far and only got mildly warm, not scary hot, while fast charging. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping these serve me and my husband well. I got silver, which was the color that drew me to the edge phones to begin with.

My Pixel is still on order. I'm looking forward to trying the VR goggles with it. I get those free for pre-ordering. I hope the smaller Pixel works nicely with VR despite being lower res than the larger XL. I guess unless the Pixel stinks, that's it for me and IPHONE. I'll let still have my SE and my 6SPlus of course. But now there would be no reason to get the iPhone 7. I would have liked waterproofing but I will just throw a case on to accomplish that now, I guess.

I wasn't supposed to end up with two Androids like this. It just worked out that way. Oh well.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
So since the Mods here would not let me start a new thread about this, what do you all think here...Now that Samsung is offering 100$ loyalty brand credit, should that be/is that enough, to make you all choose to go with the Galaxy S7 or S7 edge? I am not sure yet. Still looking at the LG V20 myself vs going back to iPhone with the 7+. (I sold my 6S+ when I bought the Note 7).

KillaMac

Suspended
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Not me. I'm done with Samsung for a while after this fiasco they sent me through.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So since the Mods here would not let me start a new thread about this, what do you all think here...Now that Samsung is offering 100$ loyalty brand credit, should that be/is that enough, to make you all choose to go with the Galaxy S7 or S7 edge? I am not sure yet. Still looking at the LG V20 myself vs going back to iPhone with the 7+. (I sold my 6S+ when I bought the Note 7).
When we chose to stay with Samsung for reasons of practicality rather than loyalty, that offer was not on the table. I wonder if we can still get it.

I'm very happy with my S7 Edge so far. I just take it one day at a time with these Samsung phones after what I've been through.

KillaMac

Suspended
Original poster
May 25, 2013
When we chose to stay with Samsung for reasons of practicality rather than loyalty, that offer was not on the table. I wonder if we can still get it.

I'm very happy with my S7 Edge so far. I just take it one day at a time with these Samsung phones after what I've been through.

I hear ya. I lost a bunch of money selling my Ip6s+ and SS Black Watch with Milanese band and other stuff. :( Now I have to buy everything again.
[doublepost=1476406397][/doublepost]
Definitely go with the 7+. It's a wonderful phone and you'll be very happy.

I actually did. Ordered it from Best buy yesterday morning and it already shipped today. :p Now I need to figure out what SS watch.....is it really worth the extra money for the Hermes....

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I've been also considering the 7 Plus, but the whole hissgate is a problem. It feels most devices have it, and it becomes apparent in video recording, which I do A LOT. So don't know what to do.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Well looks like one of my local Apple stores has finally got some stock for the plus in black. Decision made. Going back to the iPhone. Really that is fine though cause I am pretty certain next years iPhone will be the phone to beat, so I might as well get back into it now.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Well looks like one of my local Apple stores has finally got some stock for the plus in black. Decision made. Going back to the iPhone. Really that is fine though cause I am pretty certain next years iPhone will be the phone to beat, so I might as well get back into it now.

Next years Samsung phone as usual will be the device to beat...when has apple not been a few generations behind with technology......

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
Next years Samsung phone as usual will be the device to beat...when has apple not been a few generations behind with technology......

Not true... I'll take the lag-free iPhone over a bunch of things I don't care about, the iPhone will always be in the top 2 phones of the year as long as there is the following it has now and the fact there is a large number of people who feel as I do.

Me? I don't care about QHD, Wireless Charging, Curved Displays, NFC, Split Screen, etc as long as my phone is buttery smooth and has no hiccups and bloatware and TouchWiz. lol I know I'm not alone. For me a one second delay is a second too long. My 3 iPhones have been as smooth as silk - 6 Plus, 6S Plus, and now 7 Plus. I'll never go back to Samsung.

I feel like this year Samsung RUSHED to get the Note 7 out before the iPhone 7 and they got burnt (pun well intended) and I feel bad for them, but you reap what you sow. The iPhone 7/7 Plus's are selling like hotcakes, as it should be.

I have nothing against Android, but you couldn't pay me (even big bucks) to use a Samsung smartphone. I've had 4 of them, and it was a nightmare lagfest with a ton of problems. My stepgrandpa has the S7 and it's still a lagfest. For me speed and fluidity (and constant OS updates) and cross-sync between devices overtakes all hardware or software novelties. YMMV.

And now that the supposed iPhone 8 has some if not all of that stuff, you now have the best of both worlds. That said, I'd be fine to not have any of those things as long as the iPhone 8 does what my 7 Plus does and runs like a freaking champ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.