Help Me Decide My Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, Jun 13, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well I am switching from Sprint to ATT and GSM towers will be up in July, so I gotta start looking for a new phone. Basically I have 2 requirments. Bluetooth and iSync supports
    This leads me to the t68i. It is my main choice, but I have read many reviews of a slow OS and terrible reception. These reviews were from people on cnet. Being an avid cnet reader, i see how people review iPods, which makes me not take what these people say to seriously. I would like to hear people's thoughts on the cell phone. My 2nd choice was the t610. but since i dont see it for sale anywhere its out. My 3rd choice is the goofy Nokia 3650. Feel free to help me out with your opinions because i trust you guys more than the cnet people.

iJon

2. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

it all depends on where you live.

From my experience the t68 was terrible. Simply the worst phone I have ever used.

However if you keep it wrapped in styrofoam (to prevent it from wear and tear) and live in a cellphone tower then you may find different results.

I loved the phone.. it had great features.. but it fell apart and had terrible reception...

-Doc

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have a question too.

Is the phone or the phone service more important when it comes to reception?

[​IMG]

4. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

are you asking which one plays more of a factor or which is more important to me?

iJon

5. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

The T68i is one of the best phones for a Mac.
    We all know the Sony Ericson and Apple are joining together for the bluetooth compatablity so you best phone (in terms of compatability) would be the T68i.

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

He did, and I was going to. Switching from Sprint, which is very good, to a GSM provider will probably not be a very happy experience for you. I suggest just getting a new phone on Sprint. They have some nice ones, and they will be getting the T608 soon, which is compatible with BT and iSync.

7. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

My GSM serive from Tmobile works a hell of alot better than sprint did, and its cheeper. i would go for the t610, why are u choseing ATT there the most expensive cell phone provider(along with cingular and Verizon)...Sprint, and Tmobile are by the cheepest which tmobile a little ahead of Sprint...

8. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I don't have much experience with Sprint myself, but here in L.A. they have a nice network. My friend has it and he is extremely happy with the service.

Personally, I have Verizon cell service. They may be more expensive (our plan is $125 a month for 2000 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekend, 1000 mobile to mobile on 2 lines), but the satisfaction of having my phone work when others Cingular or T-Mobile phones die is worth the extra money.

9. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

My tmobile phone works where verizon phones dont work. it all depends on where you live, if you live in a big city go the cheepest they all have serive...

10. blogo macrumors 6502

Its really slow though

Wonder where i can get a cpu upgrade...:rolleyes:

11. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

well if there is one thing i have learned about cell services is that they are different everywhere. unfourtantly, sprint sucks here, many of my friends have the same complaints as i do, and we all have different phones. Luckily, if I don't like ATT I have 30 days to make up my mind and not stick with them. What I will probably do is ask the lady I've been working with if I dont like the t68i if I can give it back and take a look at the Nokia 3650.

iJon

12. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

we are going with att because my parents are paying for it so i dont care, plus they have the best plan for us after looking at all of them that are available. anyways, im not here to get advice on cell services, i am interested if what ive read about the t68i is true, if the OS is noticable slow and the reception is bad then i dont want it, thats all i am asking.

iJon

13. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Ive got a Motorola C333 and its a pretty decent phone. Nothing fancy but the reception is good and its GSM. Its a fairly inexpensive phone too.

My only problem with it is that its too small.

14. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    well i've already told you my advice. and where to get a T610, if you're looking at a T68i or the 3650, well, sucks to be you.

15. Zaid macrumors 6502

T610 is a really sweet phone, better reception, better screen, better OS

only thing that i think the t68i has on it is that its built in games are better. but you can download new ones with the T610 :)

16. cubist macrumors 68020

The T68i is too small.

The buttons on it are only 1/8" high. Now if you have very tiny fingers that may work well for you; but for me, as a phone, it stinks.

Bluetooth is incredibly slow. I suggest you consider the Motorola phones with the USB sync feature.

17. Zaid macrumors 6502

Re: The T68i is too small.

I've got really big fingers, but never had a problem with the keypads on either the t68i or the t610.

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

iJon, have you checked out this site? It may help you a little better.

My Rate Plan

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife uses Sprint PCS, her main complaint is that there are several areas in Boston that her phone calls get dropped.

20. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i have a siemens s55 which supposedly works with iSync, it has bluetooth + java but i can't get the bugger to work at all - can't even transfer files with it. Its a great phone though; just wish i could get iSync to work with it (it works fine on my pc!)

21. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

i agree, the t610 is awesome, i have the money to buy it, just dont feel a phone is worth that much to me. my mom did some work to figure out how many minutes i used a month with sprint and it was 29 minutes (which i mainly blame bceause i hate the phone, service and refuse to use it because i can never hear with sprint). im gonna get the t68i, if reception is bad the first day i use it ill send it back, or ill send it to sony and have them flash it, other than that ill get the nokia, if the nokia happens to be just as shi**y ill look at other alternatives. thanks for all the input guys, just gotta wait till july 1st rolls around and go get my phone.

iJon

22. void macrumors 6502

I think that you should get a P800, it doesn't cost that much more than the T610, but it is 10 times better. If you have a palm, you can sell it because the P800 will be > it.

23. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I got a T68i about 3 months ago now, and think it's great. Some people say that it's slow, but it seems fast enough to me. I switched from a Kyocera SmartPhone on the SprintPCS network, to the T68i and T-Mobile, and now I'm getting better reception. I find that the keys are big enough for my hands, and the bluetooth transfer, while yes USB is faster, I can just leave the phone in my pocket, and transfer without having to plug it in, and remember to unplug it when done and put it back in my pocket. It's also more convenient when you travel. All in all I think it's a great phone, definately worth it if you can get it for $50 or less (although Amazon.com seems to be out of them, and the best deal I can find is it at buy.com with AT&T).

24. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

well they moved up the date for gsm and i got my t68i. I love it, i get clear crisp calls from everywhere sprint couldn't. the OS is very fast on this t68i, looks like firmware is a good revision. thanks for all your help guys.

iJon