Help me decide on a new mac!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by swingline, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. swingline macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    #1
    I was planning on purchasing an iMac after the core2 duo update but now i'm wondering if I should go a different route.

    I currently have a 15" g4 powerbook 1.5 ghz and a xbox 360. How do they relate you might ask? Well I was thinking of buying a samsung 24" monitor so that I can use it as a PC monitor AND a hdtv monitor for the 360. So, I am now wondering if i should sell my powerbook, which will fetch maybe around 800 or more) and buy the macbook pro 2 ghz with a samsung 24" monitor (about $800).

    or perhaps I should just buy a 20" imac and buy a samsung 26" htv ($400) ?

    OR maybe there is another option??? give me some suggestions guys! I'm quite indecisive at the moment!

    ps - i will mainly be using the machine to run adobe cs2
     
  2. swingline thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    #2
    oh and I can always get a new macbook pro if i dropped my powerbook at school and claim insurance, as others have done, but that's disgusting.
     
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #3
    You got to do whats right for you but I would wait and see what Apple shows the next month or so. They have a lot models due for updates.
     
  4. Fotograffiti macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #4
    If you don't need the portability of a laptop the 20 inch iMac would work perfectly. I bought one shortly after they were released and have really nothing but good things to say about it. I use it for pretty much everything as well as quite a bit of work with Photoshop. From what I can tell from reading forums and articles from various websites, the iMac has a better track record of not having problems when compared with the latest round of notebooks. I would like to get a Macbook Pro when they get a processor update, but not until more problems get fixed and as long as I don't have to get rid of my iMac to afford it. Another advantage of getting the IMac is that the starting price is lower so you can upgrade the specs a little more to get a better machine. Of course if you need to carry your computer around alot then your options would be limited to a laptop. Whichever you decide on I would definitely wait a month to see if what gets updated.
     
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #5

    I agree, don't do anything until after Apple releases the Core 2 Duo based iMacs, MacBook Pros, etc...., in September (hopefully that is when they release them).


    I would probably go with option #2 if I had to pick a computer setup now- the ability to have a mobile machine is important in my opinion. :)
     

Share This Page