Help me decide on a new mac!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by swingline, Aug 15, 2006.

1. swingline macrumors member

Aug 9, 2005
    I was planning on purchasing an iMac after the core2 duo update but now i'm wondering if I should go a different route.

I currently have a 15" g4 powerbook 1.5 ghz and a xbox 360. How do they relate you might ask? Well I was thinking of buying a samsung 24" monitor so that I can use it as a PC monitor AND a hdtv monitor for the 360. So, I am now wondering if i should sell my powerbook, which will fetch maybe around 800 or more) and buy the macbook pro 2 ghz with a samsung 24" monitor (about $800).

or perhaps I should just buy a 20" imac and buy a samsung 26" htv ($400) ?

OR maybe there is another option??? give me some suggestions guys! I'm quite indecisive at the moment!

ps - i will mainly be using the machine to run adobe cs2
  2. swingline thread starter macrumors member

Aug 9, 2005
    oh and I can always get a new macbook pro if i dropped my powerbook at school and claim insurance, as others have done, but that's disgusting.
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    You got to do whats right for you but I would wait and see what Apple shows the next month or so. They have a lot models due for updates.
  4. Fotograffiti macrumors member

Aug 13, 2006
    If you don't need the portability of a laptop the 20 inch iMac would work perfectly. I bought one shortly after they were released and have really nothing but good things to say about it. I use it for pretty much everything as well as quite a bit of work with Photoshop. From what I can tell from reading forums and articles from various websites, the iMac has a better track record of not having problems when compared with the latest round of notebooks. I would like to get a Macbook Pro when they get a processor update, but not until more problems get fixed and as long as I don't have to get rid of my iMac to afford it. Another advantage of getting the IMac is that the starting price is lower so you can upgrade the specs a little more to get a better machine. Of course if you need to carry your computer around alot then your options would be limited to a laptop. Whichever you decide on I would definitely wait a month to see if what gets updated.
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

I agree, don't do anything until after Apple releases the Core 2 Duo based iMacs, MacBook Pros, etc...., in September (hopefully that is when they release them).

I would probably go with option #2 if I had to pick a computer setup now- the ability to have a mobile machine is important in my opinion. :)