Help Me Decide on a Wireless Setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slu, Jan 30, 2007.

1. slu macrumors 68000

slu

OK, here's the deal:

I currently have:

A Linksys Wireless B router connected to a cable modem.
    An iMac G5 (with G)
    A Powerbook G4 (with G)
    An Airport Express hooked to a printer and powered speakers
    A Series 2 Tivo connected with a Linksys USB Wireless B Adapter
    A Wii

The router is pretty old and is starting to go...I have to restart it a few times a week now, where I used to rarely have to do this.

I was thinking about upgrading my wireless network so I could possibly buy an AppleTV in the future.

So here is what I came up with for options:

1. Buy a new Airport Extreme Base Station and buy a Tivo USB Wireless G Adapter. Total Cost: $220.00 (I get an edu discount for the AEB).

2. Buy a refurb last rev AEB and buy a Tivo USB Wireless G Adapter. Total Cost: $160.00

3. Buy a 3rd Party G or pre-N router and a Tivi USB Wireless G Adapter. Total Cost: $59.99+TBD for the router.

Now obviously option 1 is the most future proof, but is this a waste of money since there is no way I can get a Tivo USB Wireless N Adapter and my Macs are both G?

I heard that running any B device on a G network brings the whole network down to B speed. Is this true and is it true for N networks as well?

Can I use my current Airport Express to extend my wireless network with only the Apple routers? I know that I cannot do it with my current router. And if I do this, can I still use my AE for Airtunes / Printer sharing?

I think upgrading the Tivo to G is necessary, is this a correct assumption?

Since I have no N device (expect for a possible AppleTV in the near future), is an N router even worth it?

I think I am leaning toward option 2 right now, but I'd like some other opinions. If you like any particular 3rd Party router, which one do you prefer and what benefits does it give over an Apple router.

Thanks in Advance for the input.

2. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Just use your airport express. I use one for 4 laptops, a printer, and speakers. it goes up and down stairs no problem. I am switching to an new airport extreme, but that's only because i want to add a networked hard drive.

3. slu thread starter macrumors 68000

slu

Unfortunately, I cannot use my airport express because where my cable comes into the house and where my cable modem is located is not where I want to have my printer and where I want to use Airtunes. That is why I got a AE in the first place; so I could keep my printer and play music in my living room and keep the router and cable modem in the office.

But you bring up another alternative in that I could buy another refurb Airport Express for $89.00 instead of a refurb AEB. Then I could extend the network with two AEs.

Also, the disk sharing feature of new AEB is a nice bonus that I forgot about, so that is a plus of option 1.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Have you thought about pulling some cable? It's not hard. Then you'd have 100Mbps per wire pair. Even "n" is not close to that.

5. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

or.....you could get a brand new AirPort Expess for $99. At MacWorld I am almost positive Apple lowered the price of the AE. Why buy the refurbed AEB when for a pretty minimal ammount you get a lot more features? If it was significantly cheaper, I'd go with it....but being that it isn't that much cheaper....

6. slu thread starter macrumors 68000

slu

Don't really want to run any wire...I'd have to do it through 3 floors of my house.

I guess adding an AE is the consensus so far.

Does anyone know if running B on a G network slows the whole network to B?

What setups do others have? There should be plenty of people out there with similar equipment to me??