Help me decide, three choices...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nospleen, Sep 22, 2003.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I do some video editing, one movie every week or two. Portability would be nice, but I am unsure how often I would use it. I already have a 20" apple cinema, so I am set in the monitor department. Here are the three choices I have to choose from. I can get each one for about the same price total. I just had a 1.8 G5 that I sold on ebay. I was going for portability, but when I saw the benchmarks at www.barefeats.com , it has me a little worried. So here it goes...

1. 15.2" 1.25 standard configuration, DVD-ADC connector, apple keyboard and mouse, Sony UX50 PDA.

2. Dual 1.25 G4 Powermac, Superdrive, 1.25 GB of ram, 10 GB iPod, Creative computer speakers, Sony UX40 PDA, and have $200 left over.

3. Dual 2.0 standard configuration, Sony TG50 PDA.

Okay, lets hear it, which package is the best? I know you do not know me, so I would not mind hearing the reasons you like a particular one over another.

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

if you were dissatisfied with the performance of the 1.8 Ghz G5 you will be *very* uphappy with the powerbook and not thrilled with the G4 dual either. The dual G5 is really the only step up from what you had.

If you sold the 1.8 only for the portability reason, then go for the powerbook. If you weren't happy with one desktop, you're not going to be happy with another.

3. Hugin777 macrumors regular

Hugin777

Re: Help me decide, three choices...

I'm not sure what it is you are asking here ?

Of course 3. is the best :)

Unless you need to boot into OS9, then 2. is the best.

Unless the PowerBook is fast enough for you video editing needs, then 1. is the best :)

If you did edit video on the 1.8, I agree you will probably be disappointed with the PowerBook.

If you know the PowerBook will be fast enough then maybe the PowerBook is the best choice. But it all depends ;) I have never tried editing video on a PowerBook...

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

The main reason I sold it was because I was not real blown away by the power. I figured if I was not happy with the power, I woud rather have one that is portable. I know going in that the PB will not be that fast, so it will not be as big of a let down as the G5 1.8 was. I have to add, I was only dissapointed during editing, everything else it was very fast. It probably needed more ram and more patience on my part for panther, optimized apps, etc...

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Re: Re: Help me decide, three choices...

OS 9 is not an option, I am a newbie, so OS X is all I know.

6. Hugin777 macrumors regular

Hugin777

Re: Re: Re: Help me decide, three choices...

Ok, then I would recommend finding a PowerBook with your preferred video editing program and give it a try !

If the PowerBook is good enough then I personally would prefer a PowerBook. Also, with the PowerBook you could run dual screen ;-)

But if you are serious about video editing maybe you should get the Dual G5 with an enourmous amount of memory ? :)

7. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help me decide, three choices...

That is the thing, I only edit once a week or so. So that is why I think that I might not qualify for something like the dual G5. I would barely scratch the surface of its power. The single G5 was nice, but I would rather have portability than so so power. Compusa only has the combo 15" on display right now, so it is not even the 1.25. So I guess I am weighing Bad ass power v. portabilty. So so power and no portability is the worst of both worlds.

8. Hugin777 macrumors regular

Hugin777

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help me decide, three choices...

If you could try the 1 GHz model and that was acceptable then all is good :) If the 1 GHz model is't acceptable I doubt the 1.25 GHz model is...

Speed comparison of the 1.25 and the 1 GHz model:
    http://www.barefeats.com/al15.html

9. gello2424 macrumors member

I would get #2 because at least you know they really have them!!! Nothing worst then getting all excited about a new cool computer and them telling you on the day that it is going to ship that they don't have any for you.

I have been waiting for my dual G5 for a long time now and I am starting to get those "dude you are such a ****ing lier where is this kick ass computer?" It's getting bad when you have to carry around emails from Apple for safty!!! LOL

10. Hugin777 macrumors regular

Hugin777

LOL :D Good point.

11. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

That is funny, sorry. :D

12. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

What is your editing software?

Video editing is High-End usage. You NEED power!

POWER SOLUTION:
    Dual 2.0 GHz G5 with 1 to 2 GB additional SDRAM minimum (without sufficient RAM you will quickly get clogged up and start crawling.
    Consider having Apple add the 2nd internal drive to hold VIDEO so it's not on the same drive as your OS X.
    FinalCut Pro 4 with included: LiveType, Cinema Tools, Color Correction and Soundtrack reportedly scream on the new Dual G5, but its much improved Compressor is 12x as fast as its nearest compitor - it is awesome.

PORTABLE SOLUTION:
    Serious video editors are all eating up the 17" PowerBook with maxed out RAM. No if's ands or buts.
    However, if you edit at home, you already have the 20" Cinema Display.
    Therefore, you can easily get by with the new 15" PB with maxed out RAM.

Unless you plan to buy a new Mac everytime new versions come out, buy the best PB or G5 you can afford when doing video editing. Remember, Apple is putting the FireWire800 port, USB 2.0 ports, fiber optics, audio optical ports, and Bluetooth on the newest versions for very good reasons, some of which will only become apparent during the whole of 2004 when software and hardware designers start taking advantage of the new capabilities.

If you get a G4 tower or older PB, you will regret that decision within 6 to 9 months. The new G5 1.8 and 2.0 have PCI-X slots for boards that are NOT even available yet, and they are NOT backward compatible for PCI (non X). Panasonic and JVC in particular have been encouraging Apple to upgrade their ports to connect to their next generation of video cameras. HD is a video fact.

Software developers are rushing to provide their Apple customers with G5 optimized plug-ins (like Adobe has already done for Photoshop) or their next version written for G5, Panther and 64-bit (like Discreet's soon to be released combustion3, which is said to scream on Macs)

I just saw G5 512MB SDRAM chips for sale at Fry's Electronics under $200 each (you need to buy pairs, never just one) and they are less expensive online.

If you are happy using iMovie and iDVD then you can settle for a cheap iBook G3. Otherwise, go for the max.

I have a Dual 1GHz G4 and will try to be happy until I can afford to get a new G5 and replace my iBook with an Aluminum 15" PowerBook.

I have FinalCut 3 and switch between it for serious projects and quickie iMovie tasks. As soon as I cannot do without FCP4, I'll upgrade.
    :cool:

13. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I just recently purchased final cut express. I am getting bored with imovie, but I want to read up on FCE before I jump in and get overwhelmed. I heard that final cut express is a lot faster than imovie for rendering, transitions, etc...

14. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Final Cut Pro 4 and FCExpress

Good idea to absorb Express. Just remember that the main difference between FCP4 and FCExpress is that Express is the same interface except that certain high end capabilities are missing.
    I had signed up for a free FCExpress seminar in Scottsdale, AZ this Saturday but just had to cancel because of a conflict. That made me think about your desire to learn more about editing. Check out this Apple educational program and sign up for a free seminar near you:

http://www.seminars.apple.com/index.html

I edit DV for fun, but I daily use my Mac to practice law.
    Your selection of a PowerBook or a G5 also depends upon how much you use your Mac and the need for portability.

I like to take my iBook with me wherever I go in an Office on Wheels that I have put together in a small carryon luggage case (handle and wheels), including a Canon i70 mobile printer with battery, and a CanoScan LiDE30 scanner. I can set up my portable office in a client's kitchen or in my VW Eurovan with center facing seats and folding table, or in a law library cubby hole. At home, I access the internet and print to a centralized color Xerox printer via AirPort wireless from any room in the house, even in the backyard. I do not prefer to edit on a G3 iBook and keyboard.

But all my serious work, especially video editing, is done on the G4 dual 1.0GHz in my office.

Something else you might like is the new $99 black Kensington trackball with large scroll ring that can be used for editing, unless you have the Shuttle Pro.

15. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Okay, I read all of your opinions and I decided there was not a right answer. (except for the dual g4 is not an option) I think the G5 dual 2.0 and the PB would be better served to compliment each other, as opposed to one or the other. So I went with the dual 2.0 through backtothemac and www.generalcybernetics.com/apple . I am going to save up and buy the PB at a later date. So I kind of chose both, but the PB will have to wait for now. Thanks for the help!!