Help me decide which Mac Mini configuration please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amberashby, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. amberashby macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    #1
    Hi,

    I'm ready to place my order but I keep flip flopping over which model. I already own a dual 2.0 Power Mac and this computer would be for the bedroom. Mostly internet, email, and iLife. Here are the choices I'm considering (I get EDU pricing by the way and I have a $30 off coupon):

    1) 1.42GHZ with bluetooth,airport, and 512MB = $732
    2) 1.25GHZ with bluetooth,airport, and 3rd party 1GB RAM = $728

    As you can see they would be very similar in price. Basically a trade between more memory and faster processor, bigger HD. Would the extra RAM in the 1.25GHZ more than make up for the slower clock speed?

    Thanks.
     
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #2
    I say 1) because the 512mb of RAM will probably be sufficient for your stated needs and the faster processor isn't something you can upgrade easily at a later stage.
     
  3. svejar macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2004
    #3
    I would go for the extra 512MB of RAM. Even though it would make me feel like an idiot to order that directly from Apple. I know... Warranty and everything, but they want $425 extra to ship it with a 1GB DDR stick. Man...
     
  4. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    #4
    I'll definately go with at least 512MB. #2 is with 1GB of 3rd party ram. I'm really wondering which system configuration would be the snappiest.
     
  5. auxplage macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2004
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
    #5
    I would definitely go with #2. My eMac (specs below) always manages to fill up the 768 mb RAM I have. I do the same stuff you do on my eMac all the time, and at all times it is snappy. 1.42 ghz is only a little less than 15% faster than 1.25 ghz with the same 167 mhz fsb. The more RAM the better. #2 :)
     
  6. wnameth macrumors 65816

    wnameth

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2004
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    i would go with the faster proc, its better for the long run, and 512mb of ram is dine for what you want to do.

    Thats my 0.2$
     
  7. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    #7
    I'm leaning toward the 1.25Ghz with 1GB. I have a G4 800Mhz iBook with 640K RAM and even web browsing is not quite as snappy as I would like. Scrolling screens can be choppy. iPhoto runs choppy also. Maybe I'm just too used to the Dual 2.0, but I'm hoping the Mac Mini will be a decent improvement from the iBook.
     
  8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #8
    That's why the 1.42 would be better.
    RAM is not going to improve the choppiness...
     
  9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

    gwuMACaddict

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003
    Location:
    washington dc
    #9
    #1

    i have to echo blue velvets thoughts on the issue. snappier processor, upgrade the ram later if you really want to.
     
  10. atari1356 macrumors 68000

    atari1356

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    #10
    Ditto. Definitely go for number 1. 512Mb ram is plenty for your stated use... plus you'll have a faster processor and hard drive that's twice as big.
     
  11. Veldek macrumors 68000

    Veldek

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2003
    Location:
    Germany
    #11
    A little OT, but don’t put too many electronic devices in your bedroom as it disturbs your sleep and makes you ill.

    Anyway, I’d go with the first one because you could update the RAM later.
     
  12. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

    Sabbath

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London
    #12
    I would go for the first too, the RAM is always going to get significantly cheaper over time and so you can update that for less later on. The faster processor will make a bit of difference, although I doubt it will be that noticeable but I personally could not live with the 40Gb of HD space and I think that would be more expensive to upgrade in the long run (although you could go for an external).

    So all in I would definitely say the first is the better option.
     
  13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2003
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #13
    I am going to say #1 also.

    The larger HDD is what does it for me.
     
  14. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    #14
    Thanks for the replies everyone, but I'm going to "Think Different" and go against the majority here.

    Less than 15% increase in processor speed and the OS is such a memory hog. Plus I may swap out the HD with a 2.5inch 60GB 7200RPM version for only $160 (as soon as I read about someone else doing it first because I'm not sure if it would produce too much extra heat).

    I'm ordering today. The wait begins..................
     
  15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2003
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #15
    You may want to rethink the HDD again. It has been confirmed that the Seagate drive being used in the 1.42 is a 5400rpm HDD. And a Barefeats test showed little gain by going with the 7200rpm drives.
     
  16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #16
    See? You knew what you wanted all along.
    You were just fooling with us... :D

    I'm sure which ever one you get will be fine.

    Do let us know when it arrives and how you're getting on with it.
    I like to read about other people's Mini experiences at the moment 'cos I'm thinking of recommending one to a friend...
     
  17. brap macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 10, 2004
    Location:
    Nottingham
    #17
    If you want to upgrade the HD (which will invalidate your warranty), why are you still wanting to have Apple installed RAM?

    Personally, I'd get th 1.42 and as little else as possible... save upgrades for NewEgg or whatever stores youse Americans have.
     

Share This Page