Help me decide...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nospleen, Nov 25, 2003.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Here we go:

1.) Two 17" Apple Cinema Diplays
    2.) One 20" Apple Cinema Display
    3.) Two 17" Formac Displays
    4.) Two Dell 1901FP 19" Displays

I am so confused, what would you get? I do light video editing, surf the web, email, photoshop, iphoto, etc...

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I would probably go with the 20" Apple display. From what I have heard, it is a fine display. Forget about the Apple 17" display. It is nice, but way overpriced. The two Dells sound nice too, but don't forget that their maximum resolution is 1280x1024, which is the same as any 17" LCD. Images are just bigger. Either way, the two Dells will yeild a 33% larger usable area than the single 20" Apple. But, I think widescreen is more usable, even if there are less pixels. So if you want to see more, go with the two Dells (or any 17" or 18" LCD), but if looks are important, go with the 20" Apple (they do look nice sitting next to a Mac :D)

3. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

How do plasma's rate as computer monitors? anyway if you want a big picture there is no substitute for a projector, failing that Flat tube CRT's are the way to go.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

plasmas are faster and brighter than LCDs... but more power consuming.

so as a desktop display, i think it will be better than LCD flat panels.

to the original poster: get two dells and conveniently "lose" one of them in ann arbor, MI? :D

5. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I have a 19" dell 1901 here at work on my G5.

This monitor is SUPERB for the price. I beleive we payed $520(some dell promotion).

Don't get me wrong the 20" apple display is sweet (love the widescreen format, like on my powerbook) but at $1300 its difficult to justify, and I believe some of the specs on the dell 1901, like the contrast ratio, are much better.

So like i said, except for not having the widescreen format, i don't mind this monitor over the apple display. And with 1280 x 1024, i was able to dump my second display and work comfortably in photoshop, flash and dreamweaver. Freeing up some much needed desk space. :-D

So you may be happy with only one dell 1901, saving yourself $600

6. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Do you happen to have a picture of it? If not, no biggie, but I would like to see an actual picture. It is a tough decision. I just wish Apple would make a 17" widescreen. :(

7. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I do have a picture somewhere not a great pic but i'll look for it. There is a picture of the monitor on the dell site, I assume you've seen that one right?

8. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Go for the 20"! I just bought one for my sister, and it ROCKS!

I hooked it up to my machine to test it, and my no-name 15" TFT looked so crappy next to it... brightness, colors, sharpness. Oh man, how it hated it to disconnect and repack it afterwards. If I had the cash this pretty baby would be MINE!

Now, talking seriously, 19" to 20" makes a huge difference in screen real estate. And the quality... and the design...

9. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Here's two pics i took of my work station when I set up my G5.

I recently got an albook and this monitors colors and brightness are better than the albook. It was a steal for the price we paid.

EDIT 2: images removed to conserve my bandwidth.

EDIT: Fixed broken links... oops

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Widescreen....

I've been in front of one of this sweet G5's with a 20" and ... god, it rocks, the brightness and design, the feel, the look, the "all-together" is just great, and wide-screen gets sometimes better when you have different apps running, unless you have 2 of those square together... think about it and get a widescreen :) ... but, updates must be coming... MWSF 04?, pretty sure...get a CRT meanwhile...:D

11. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Thanks for the pics! The edge is so thin, I really like that. I love the 20" Apple, but I will have to pay 1175 shipped. I looked at Dell's 1703FP and it has a contrast ratio of 600:1!! I can get two of those for 888 shipped! I like the 19", but I did not even think about them fitting in my armoire. What would you do, two of the 1703's for 888 or the apple 20" for 1175? I think I am leaning to the Dell. (I cannot believe I just said that.):D

12. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I don't know, i made my choice... the single 19inch dell. If you can fit two 17s or one 20inch apple display then you could fit the 19. Its height and angle is adjustable.

13. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I can fit one 19", but not two, that is why I would go with the two 17's.

14. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Update. I ended up going with two Dell 1703's. (they fit the desk the best and the budget.) :D Here is a pic. So far I am very happy with the decision.

Attached Files:

• g5.jpg
      g5.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
  15. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

One more shot.

Attached Files: