Help me decide...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bpd115, Jan 20, 2004.

1. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I currently have an iMac 17 1Ghz (80 gb, superdrive, 768 ram) and a 12 inch Powerbook. Due to the sale of a Windows PC and a Windows Laptop, I have the opperunity to do one of the following

1) Purchase a refurb 15 inch 1.25/80gb/superdrive for 2099 (my father gets the 12 inch pb)

2) Purchase a mid dual G5 (2093 w/o Superdrive) (Currently the 1.8 dual but I'd wait for the upgrade)
    and then try to sell my iMac and purchase most likely another 12 inch PB.

Suggestions?

If I could sell the iMac I would like to get 1400 for it.

Thanks,

Brandon

2. Edot macrumors 6502

The question?

So the real question is whether you want a 15in or 12in PB? The g5 is a no brainer unless you are really hurting for deskspace or style:cool:

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

You want style?

My G5 set-up once the new one ares out will be JBL Invaders, the G5, plus a silver KDS Radius monitor. Now that's style.

4. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Re: The question?

Well I have a few options (I'm driving myself mad hehe)

I may go the route of purchasing the G5, (CMON UPDATES), giving my dad the 12 inch, and depending on the quote I get from Powermax on my iMac trade it in there (or sell it outright) and get another 12 inch....

damn you apple and your lustful products!

:D

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I would go for the mid range PowerMac when the speedbumps come out ( this weekend ?). I would hang on to your G4 Powerbook until Apple brings out the G5 version, hopefully about September time. The 15" is a great laptop, I have one, but I don't believe it is worth upgrading to the 15" at this stage. The G5 will be a significant improvement both on your iMac to Powermac and going from G4 Powerbook to G5 Powerbook.

That's my 2 cents worth.

6. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

This is the route I think I will go. I will get the midrange G5 when the update hits. I now just need to move my 17 inch iMac so I can purchase a 12 inch Powerbook for my dad and keep my 12 inch.

I've been really happy with the 12 and the 15 wouldn't give me as much of a overall performance boost as moving to a G5 would....

so that brings me to my next question...is 1400.00 a fair price for a 17 inch iMac with
    80 Gb hard drive
    Superdrive
    768 ram
    (and can do dual display's with the hack)