Help me decide...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bpd115, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. bpd115 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 4, 2003
    I currently have an iMac 17 1Ghz (80 gb, superdrive, 768 ram) and a 12 inch Powerbook. Due to the sale of a Windows PC and a Windows Laptop, I have the opperunity to do one of the following

    1) Purchase a refurb 15 inch 1.25/80gb/superdrive for 2099 (my father gets the 12 inch pb)

    2) Purchase a mid dual G5 (2093 w/o Superdrive) (Currently the 1.8 dual but I'd wait for the upgrade)
    and then try to sell my iMac and purchase most likely another 12 inch PB.


    If I could sell the iMac I would like to get 1400 for it.


  2. Edot macrumors 6502

    Jan 29, 2002
    The question?

    So the real question is whether you want a 15in or 12in PB? The g5 is a no brainer unless you are really hurting for deskspace or style:cool:
  3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816


    Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    You want style?

    My G5 set-up once the new one ares out will be JBL Invaders, the G5, plus a silver KDS Radius monitor. Now that's style.
  4. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Feb 4, 2003
    Re: The question?

    Well I have a few options (I'm driving myself mad hehe)

    I may go the route of purchasing the G5, (CMON UPDATES), giving my dad the 12 inch, and depending on the quote I get from Powermax on my iMac trade it in there (or sell it outright) and get another 12 inch....

    damn you apple and your lustful products!

  5. James Craner macrumors 68000

    James Craner

    Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    I would go for the mid range PowerMac when the speedbumps come out ( this weekend ?). I would hang on to your G4 Powerbook until Apple brings out the G5 version, hopefully about September time. The 15" is a great laptop, I have one, but I don't believe it is worth upgrading to the 15" at this stage. The G5 will be a significant improvement both on your iMac to Powermac and going from G4 Powerbook to G5 Powerbook.

    That's my 2 cents worth.
  6. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Feb 4, 2003
    This is the route I think I will go. I will get the midrange G5 when the update hits. I now just need to move my 17 inch iMac so I can purchase a 12 inch Powerbook for my dad and keep my 12 inch.

    I've been really happy with the 12 and the 15 wouldn't give me as much of a overall performance boost as moving to a G5 would....

    so that brings me to my next 1400.00 a fair price for a 17 inch iMac with
    80 Gb hard drive
    768 ram
    (and can do dual display's with the hack)

Share This Page