Help me deicde on a new monitor to get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chaslam, Nov 27, 2006.

1. chaslam macrumors regular

Now, Im in the market to get a new monitor for xmas to use with my MBP and have managed to narrow it down to 3:

22" Fujistu-Siemens:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/407346/art/fujitsu-siemens/l22-1w-22-lcd-screen-5-m.html

20" Samsung:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113148

Or (reluctently):

20" Apple ACD

Which one would you go for and why? Im tempted by the Fujistu one as its the biggest and has same specs as the other ones, but not sure. The apple one is way over priced and dont really see anything more special with it then the other ones apart from design.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

What do you use the computer for?
    email/web and office type stuff
    a movie/DVD/entertainment device
    photography or video work?

What makes a monitor best for watching movies or playing video games is not what you want for photography.

Does the fujitu LCd have a digital input? If not that prety much eliminates it.

3. grum macrumors regular

god damn that fujitsu siemens is cheap! No DVI input though

4. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

Use it for the top 2 really. Sometimes do a little imovies work and photo editing, but only very minor and I would have the MBP screen aswell.

What is the difference between DVI and VGA input? I was just assuming that all PC monitors had had least a VGA input, but that doesnt seem to be the case, as with the fujisu (it seems).

Is DVI better then VGA? I have a DVI to VGA apator what came with my MBP, but if DVI is alot better then I will use that and buy another adaptor.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

DVI is a digital signal. VGA is analog.

You will get the best result if you connect you computer's DVI output to a monitor that can accept a DVI signal.

Serious photographersabout color fidelity and the monitor's range of displayable color If you don't care about any of this then you can save a pile of money. Apple's ACDs are marketed to people who do care and so you pay a premium for the ACD.

6. grum macrumors regular

7. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

8. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

9. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Look at Dell monitors if there is Dell in the UK.

10. grum macrumors regular

Yeah I will certainly post up my thoughts on it - its not coming for another week though. I read a few customer reviews and a review on CNet of other monitors by the same manufacturer and they were all fairly positive.

I think Samsung monitors are meant to be decent, and I think analogue/digital does mean it has VGA and DVI inputs

11. rock6079 macrumors 6502

hey, kinda depends on what u plan to use it for any your own personal preference but i have an apple 20" as my primary and then a got a dell 17" (3:4) as a secondary. The apple is definately nicer and seems better quality and if thats one of ur options i would go with it. I know dell isnt one of your options but they have great prices a its been great as a second monitor

12. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I know, I know, spec-wise not the best maybe, but the Apple Cinema Displays are gorgeous.

I think you should go with the ACD. You probably will love it.

13. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

I wont be using it for anything professional, just personal use.

I have been looking at the Dell ones, but actually they arent much cheaper then the apple ones (widescreen ones anyway).

Apples ones are very VERY nice, I just cant justify that money (esspecially as I will be getting one for xmas, so it wouldnt be fair on my parents if I ask for something £400+.

Im really interested in that samsung, as I really want a 20+ screen for a reasonable price, and I know that samsung make good screens (apparently).