Help me find a bike....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Oct 10, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    As many of you know I just had back surgery.

I've been told to give up my marathon running and do something more low impact, which, quite honestly is really depressing the **** out of me, but anyway, I figure I will give biking a chance again (did some long-distance riding in High School).

I'm looking to spend around $1,000, I'll add gear and stuff later. Since I am into endurance-type sports, aI would like to build up to 70 to 100-milers and need a bike to fit the build.

I'm a big-build guy (who definitely needs to lose about 30 pounds gained during my back injury and break from marathoning. My hope is to use the bike riding to lose some weight, at which point I may start training for marathons again in the spring once I get down in the 180's again.

I've always wanted a Cannondale, but wouldn't be averse to a Trek or other brand. Right now, I am noodling this model:

Synapse 3 Alloy (or maybe the 4, it is $300.00 cheaper)

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
  3. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi iGary, I don't know much about bikes although I own a Raleigh mountain bike just for riding on bike trails for exercise. However, I work with a guy who LIVES to ride bikes and he lives on the Bicycle forums all day so I emailed him your post a few minutes ago and he wrote me back this:

Id have him look at Felt <> but fit is the single most
    important thing, so getting a brand from a local shop is probably more
    important than which bike he gets. At that price point, he's talking entry
    level road bike, which isn't a bad thing, just a very level field amongst
    the big brands. Also, with back problems, he might want to consider a
    Maybe this will help you out some! Good luck and sorry about the back problems! :)
  4. Laser macrumors newbie

May 10, 2005
    In the 1K price range you get a pretty good bang for your buck with Giant.
  5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    as you can probably guess by the avatar, i'm a huge cannondale fan. i ride three different bikes, all cannondale- and have always been impressed with their service, etc.

that being said, in the $1000 price range, there might be better bargains to be had. cannondale charges a premium for their frames because they are made here in the states. at the $1000 range, you might be more interested in components, since i doubt you'll really take the time to upgrade later? you don't really notice the frame at this price point, mostly what is hanging off of it.

will you do 100% road riding? if not, for light trail work with a road bike feel, look in to a cyclocross bike. bianchi and surly make reasonably priced ones, and i know there are dealers in the maryland/dc area that can get them for you. they have slightly larger tires than a road bike, larger tires means more air, means a softer ride for you and your back.
  6. iGary thread starter Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Yeah, it is going to be pretty much road riding.

Was hoping for a Cannondale, but I had a friend with a Bianchi.
  7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    At the $1000 price range, pretty much all bikes are the same in terms of frame quality and componentry.

[edit: I can't emphasize this point enough. Brand name of the frame at $1000 is about utterly meaningless. Giant, Trek, Lemond, Raleigh, Cannondale, Bianchi, Felt, Fuji, Specialized -- no significant difference except the name on the downtube. Most of them are made in the same Taiwanese factories.

Any little "trick" or seemingly unique feature to the frame is pure marketing nonsense. The most important thing is to make sure your components meet the price. Don't pay 105 prices for a bike with any Tiagra hanging off it, or with no-name brakes]

The Cannondale is stiff aluminium and may jar your teeth out or destroy your back. It's great for racing but can be disconcertingly harsh on longer rides or rough roads. You may wish to look for something in steel. Forget alu with carbon stays; it's a gimmick.

The important thing is to get a good fit. That means taking each bike you're interested in for a good 15 mile test ride.

My personal suggestions? Find something steel with a Campagnolo groupset, even if it means moving up in price $500. You'll appreciate it down the road (no pun intended).
  8. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2005
    I ride cannondale bikes as well and put in around 100 miles a week. I agree that you will pay a premium. As for cannondale, I would not buy less than a R1000 because of the componentry. If you are riding long rides, you will want Shimano Ultegra or Shimano 105 at the very least.

For the R1000 you will pay about $1400 for last years model, if you can find one in your size. You will pay about $1800 for this years model.

If you are dead set on $1000, look for a good trek aluminum bike or a felt, like one other guy said. I do not agree that all bikes are the same at that range, as a bigger guy myself (200lbs.), I like the cannondale frame quality and warranty.

If you can find something like a Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Felt or any other good brand, you will surely find the warranty or craftsmanship you will need.

Of course you can get a Trek carbon fiber frame for about $2000 these days.

Go ride some bikes at the local shop and see what feels good before you buy. Also let them know what you want to spend and what component group you are looking for and you might be able to locate a well cared for used bike that was $2000 or $2500 a year or two ago.

You will love it!!!! When you finish that first hundred miler, you will never look back.
  9. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2005
    I agree, Cannondale can be stiff, but being a heavier guy I like the stability (and warranty). But you will find this with most alu frames. Obviously I would love to have a titanium/carbon combo, or a bike like this...

Attached Files:

10. Jesus macrumors 6502

i have a bianchi, they're great, but, as someone said, all bikes at this level are roughly the same. And, more importantly, get a bike that fits and, depending were you live, get a good lock (or 2).

I lost my handlebars once. In Chealsea!!!

11. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    If you're doing this to get in a bit better shape, I would suggest to go with a ChroMo mountain bike (much softer on the back than a street bike as the chromoly and big tires will be much more forgiving). Just thinking of hitting a pothole on a road bike after back surgery makes me cringe. Then, after getting into it for awhile, switch to a street bike. Just my 2¢