Help me find a vandal...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XNine, Jan 9, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    So this morning (yes, Monday morning, of all mornings) I get out to my car, get in, start it up, and then look right. What do I see? Some piece of **** practically took my sideview mirror off.

Now, at my apartment complex, we don't have reserved parking, and when I got home yesterday from errands, no one was parked next to me.

How do I go about finding this vandal?

I don't plan on going through insurance, or the police for this matter. In fact I will avenge my mirror by doing ten times the damage to their car. But who is it?

It would be different if they left a note. But they didn't, so now, if I'm able to find them, the gloves are off.

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well you could go around your appartment complex looking at the left side* of all the other cars to see if they have damage/traces of your paint at the height of your mirror.

But as for doing damage to thier car in return is just wanton vengence. Play it smart; when you find the car write down the licence plate number and take pictures of the damage to both cars, and call the police to file an accident report. When they show up then you can present them with the offending drivers licence number. Then sit back and let the legal process work for you.

Remember revenge is a dish best served cold...

* Assuming they were driving forward damage will be on their left side...but if they backed up into your mirror check the right rear of cars too.

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

What Raid said... there's no point in getting yourself in heaps of trouble, too. You have insurance for a reason... you should let the systems in place actually work for you. :)

4. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

I see the points you guys are tryign to make. But, Americans just don't learn unless violence involved, ya know? You've got to physically harm someone or someone's possesions in order to make them realize what they do is wrong. It's sad, really.

I'm thinking about going Big Lebowski on 'em. You know:

'DO YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU **** SOMEONE IN THE ASS?!"

If you havne't seen that movie, shame on you!

But none-the-less. Cops in Aurora don't give a damn about these things, and won't show up for it. I've had similar interaction (or lack there of) with them before.

5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

If you havn't been through the insurance process before, you'll usually collect more than enough money to fix the damage. Shop around at auto bodies for the HIGHEST rate, and make sure they know that insurance will be paying for it. They will often estimate high to let you keep some money.

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Might not be bad driving, might be some ass-hole who just kicked it off or something.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Just forget about it. You ain't gonna find the person. :eek:

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And if you do find them, you've just immortalized your premeditated intention to do felonious property damage and possibly more on this forum...

A Really Bad Idea (TM)

9. mpw Guest

I'm almost certain it was the woman from number 18, she can't drive for ****! Now go and avenge your mirror and don't hold back. Also she's been bad mouthing you to everyone and making out like it's you who's treading mud in through all the hallways. I don't know why she's got in for you but it'd be best to take her out now before this thing escalates and something you really value gets damaged.....or just forget about it and fold your mirrors in when you park from now on.

10. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

SONUVABITCH! I knew it was her! *grabs meat-mallet*

Oh, and I can't fold my mirror's in. My Civic is a 97, a few years before the folding mirrors were installed.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my car insurance deductible is $500, which is more than a new mirror would cost me. does anyone here have a suitably low deductible to cover a mirror?

12. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yeah I've seen the movie, :) but doing things on the up and up is still a better way to seek revenge in real life. I'm sure the person that hit you has broken some sort of law and if you find out who it was reporting it can get your 'pound of flesh' as well as getting it fixed... all at no charge to your karma. ;)

13. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Perhaps. I'm thinking it was someone who may not have had insurance. God, to catch someone who doesn't have car insurance would be a dream come true!

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

don't wish for that. i was hit by an uninsured driver a couple years ago. my insurance company, who determined the accident was 90% her fault, payed for my fix, but i was out my $500 deductible and 3 weeks of car rental (i don't have it on my policy).

then she disappeared! my ins company tried to find her to go after what was paid for the repair, but only recently located her. i got a letter from a legal firm last month saying i may have to testify.

lots of lost time and just a big PITA.

15. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Based on personal experience - he is probably right.

But run around the parking lot looking for a damaged car and check to see if the parking lot has a security camera,,, and if you find him - keep in mind on of my fav quotes from Lao Tsu:

I have three treasures which I hold and keep.
    The first is mercy; the second is economy;
    The third is daring not to be ahead of others.
    From mercy comes courage; from economy comes generosity;
    From humility comes leadership.

16. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

This happened to my wife and I not too long ago. We bought a brand new '99 Honda Civic years ago and the body was in FLAWLESS condition. We moved back in June '05 to a short-term lease house near my wifes parents (b/c we had been planning on moving out of state for awhile so we wanted to spend some time with the family, which we just did).....and we had also been planning to sell that car when we moved out of state. The FIRST weekend we lived there we went to Wal-Mart to get some supplies and somebody ran into the front end of our car. This busted out the grill and dented in the hood. Never found out who it was. We ended up having to knock about $500 or so off of the car price when we sold it b/c of this.

17. Melkor macrumors 6502

Take a deep breath, and just let it go. You need drugs my friend :).

Seriously though, just claim off your insurance and forget about it.

18. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Exactly how old are you? You base your action on what you saw in a movie? You need help.

If you preform violent acts on everyone that wrongs you, you are going to be the one going to jail then get butt raped in jail for being stupid.

If you theory of violence were true about Americans, courts, police, jails, and basic rule of law wouldn't work in America.

19. mac-er macrumors 65816

Ever heard of insurance fraud?

No wonder other people's insurance premiums are so high.....insurance isn't free money, bub. Other people pay for schemes like this.

20. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

I was joking, jackass.

And yes, I do believe my theory is true. How many murderers and child molesters get away with what they do? Tons. With a slap on the wrist.

Get off your diatribe.

21. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Yeah, not to mention my copay is 500 bucks, may as well just pay for two new mirrors with with that.

22. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

ditto

23. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

:rolleyes: lmao

Oh god. lol