Help me find the Yak easter egg in FCP 3 PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Future Man, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Future Man macrumors member

Does anyone here know how to summon the Yak in ver.3? I know how to in 1+2 but it eludes me in FCP 3! Someone please tell me how... it's driving me crazy and I can't get my work done. Thanks!

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The only thing I've heard is about a cow that shows up after leaving FCP running for 24+ hours w/ no screen saver...or something...

3. Future Man thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm....

I think I heard something like that once as well rower, but actually it was quite easy in ver. 2+3. All you have to do is control click a dozen times right above the timecode window in the canvas. But in FCP 3.x this doesn’t work.
    However I have done some research and after a few unfruitful hits in the forum search at 2pop I finally found someone describing how to do it in 3. But it's not working for me!!!
    Supposedly if you control click where the TC window would be in a "new window" in ver. 3 (the tool bench a.k.a. software scopes) you get the Yak.
    Alas, I tried this morning...I did, but to no avail
    : (
    So if anyone tries it and gets it let me know. Because I thought Jobs banned easter eggs at apple. But this one is alive and well.

I also found this Japanese page that chronicles what the Yak says when he appears.
    Apparently he is very talkative.

http://www.ii-okinawa.ne.jp/people/k3710/fcpyak.html

FM

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

What the crap are you guys talking about? I have Final Cut Pro and have never heard of this Yak thing. What is it? Is it some kind of graphic like those helpers in Microsoft Word or something. I tried control clicking and nothing happened. I'm both excited and confused.

P-Worm

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I checked around some more and found the thread you're mentioning. The guy actually says "tool pallette", which I take to mean the small tool window with the razorblade, roll/slip, etc. tools.

I'm going to try variations of control-clicks, click and holds...see what happens...

[edit: P-worm, it's an easter egg. Supposedly pretty cool, if you can find it. ]

6. Future Man thread starter macrumors member

still no luck... : (

Rower I think he said "Tool Bench" which is a totally new window to ver. 3, it's the software scopes they put in the reg. UI. It used to be only in Log and Capture. It is listed in the window menu.
    Also all the hints at 2pop were saying "look in a new window". Either way, I can't get the darn thing to come out. I wonder if it's my logitech scroll wheel mouse. FCP now recognizes my right click which i used to have to get with a control click in os9 and the Apple pro one button mouse.
    I'll keep trying though...

FM

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Here's MacAddict forum about it, and the guy says tool pallette:

http://www.macaddict.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/014525.html

I'm still at a loss...I just found out about the way to do it in v1 (About Final Cut Pro window)...trying that now

Why don't people want to share this knowledge?

8. Future Man thread starter macrumors member

Got it!

It is the tool bench Rower, those folks are confused. It's awesome, a lot of fun, Just keep trying and it will come. I'll attach a scren shot though. LOL he ran away when I snapped it!

FM

Attached Files:

9. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Ok...I tried it in the tool bench....and I got a message that said "I'm not that easy".

Just thought that was funny gonna try to get that yak now....damn insomnia

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHA....that's awesome.

So again I got a little pop up message....it said "Call the Yak" So, of course...

This yak comes in and starts eating grass.

And he has thought bubbles...Oh man, this is gonna be great when I show it to people at work tomorrow. :D

10. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

check it...

Here's the yak thinking...

Attached Files:

• yak.jpg
      yak.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Bastards! Now I have to wait until I get back to work on Friday. :mad:

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

hehehehe.....dude, just stop by tomorrow sometime and try it out....it's easy :D ;)

That and put FCP on your TiBook, then you could do it right now.... :p

13. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

And that's the thanks I get for all the help I gave you? :rolleyes:

;)

15. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

hehehe. You get thanks in the other thread...This one's about the yak....the yak that I was able to find ;)

It's all good though. you'll see it tomorrow. :p

16. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Now, for those of us not in the know, what exactly did you guys do to get this yak?