Help me get a G5

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by illegalprelude, Jun 6, 2006.

1. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Idiot. Needs to learn that people(read: me) would love to have his "antiquated" Mac. One day he'll learn the value of saving money, and giving away old computers.

Gotta give him an A for determination to blow the G4 up, though.

2. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Grrr, I would have loved that G4 aswell.

There are several things that annoy me about these kind of things on the internet.

Why not get 20,000 people to give $0.25 to charity or do something useful rather than buying some jackass a G5 and sending him on a holiday to the mountains to get drunk with his buddies. I am sure there are plenty of charities who would love to have $5,000.

I am pretty sure that the people who have benefitted so much from the generosity of others don't do anything worthwhile with the money. He could have then done something with his G5 to benefit the world, or donated the excess money to orphans, or given the G4 to a school or something.

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

oh cut the guy a break, he solited donations and provided some entertainment to the people that donated. At least he did something more than that idiot who got a iMac from his "make me a switcher" blog or whatever it was called.

I have no problems with people cyber begging provided they are doing something for the money, some people will donate money to see an iPod get smashed, some people will donate money to see a g4 get blown up. Other will trade there way up from a red paper clip.

At least these people have ideas much better than "I hate my PC and I'm a cheap b*st*rd, buy me stuff" or "I spent all my money on shoes, pay my credit card debt!"

To me this is the difference between a panhandler and a busker. The busker is contributing to society

4. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

are you people seriously getting pissed off cause this dude blew up a G4? Stop drinking the Apple Cool-Aid and have a sense of humor towards macs :rolleyes:

5. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I actually think that guy was pretty smart. Unique idea. Haha, I liked it. :)

6. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I don't like seeing Macs die, but it was a cool video nonetheless. :)

7. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

I thought it was a creative idea and the video was produced very well.
    Not long, too the point, humorous, almost satirical of modern TV...

But isn't this really old...?

8. calculus Guest

calculus

At the risk of being controversial...

"I make videos for a living..."

Obviously not a very good living, also not very good videos.

Someone could have used that old mac for something useful.

9. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I dont know to be honest. Im gussing it might be from when the G5 1st came out but I was just doing late night YouTube browsing and ran accross it and thought I would share :)

10. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Yeah, the video wasn't half bad - in fact, I really liked the part where it introduced the people.

I would've paid a quarter to the guy...:cool:

EDIT: what kind of PowerMac G5 did he get??? For 5000, that's a quad with quite a bit of ram, correct?

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well we all could do nicer things.. but we don't. I eat nice food when i would be fine living off lower grade stuff. All and all i thought it was fun, its a free country, he owns it, so he can blow it up(assuming he uses the right stuff to blow it up and does not hurt anyone)

Plus he got a G5

12. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Some research shows it's only a month or since the video was posted, but it's all good... I was just sure I'd seen a thread with the same exact title before and I was confused :)

13. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

To all the people who are saying that it was stupid or you want the G4, or that the $5000 to charity:

You're jealous that you didn't come up with it first.

14. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Well said ;)

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd rather have seen him do a stupid human trick like stuffing himself into the G4 and throwing himself away, or poured gasoline in his crotch and lit it on fire.

16. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

oi :D

well said my dear apple fanboy. God Forbid somebody even look at an Apple Product the wrong way :rolleyes:

17. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

While this post wasn't addressed to me, I will address it anyway. Personally, my only problem with it is the fact that he destroyed a perfectly good machine for no reason other than to beg for a new one. In the end, my qualms have nothing to do with it being Apple but that it was still useful. I'd imagine that's what some others are feeling; I get the same feeling watching musician destroy musical instruments and suchnot.

As has been said, though, it was his own to do with what he wished (just as it was the donators' money to do with what they wished). It was an interesting video, sans all the drunken-college-frat-boy "humor."

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>Apple Fanboy?

More like a fan of the Darwin Award ... if they want my money, they can do something that will eliminate themselves from the gene pool.

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree- and it was quite amusing to watch the guy blow up his Power Mac G4 (even if it was slightly nauseating to see an Apple computer be desecrated in such an "explosive" manner).

20. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I liked the video, that G4 could have been put to better use. Maybe if it was like a SUPER old mac it would have been better. I still thought it was funny. I sure wish I could get thousands of people to give me 25 cents.

21. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Sure there are better ways to spend $5000.

But not many of them involve hillbillies blowing up G4s with homemade explosives and high-powered rifles. :D

I consider it money well spent.:p

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I thought that this detracted from the overall enjoyment of the film- the guy had a perfectly useable computer that could have been given to many people who would be pleased as pudding to have such a fine machine. :eek:

23. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Im pretty sure A. we dont know how old his G4 was and B. what specs it had and C. what condition the system was in. Also, its funny to see people get pissed about but he has a free G5 and got to have fun with blowing up his G4.

When it comes down to it, wtf would you do with ur old mac? Not everybody out there has other Mac buddies. Did you want him to go door to door and try to sell it? post it online or donate it? He bought, he can blow it up. Makes me wonder what ill do with this G5 once I get the Quad Core.

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Looked to me like a "Sawtooth" Power Mac G4.