Help Me Get In Shape!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Patmian212, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ok well here is my situatiom,
    I am 16, I am overweight, 1.80meters tall 92 KG. I am a smoker. I do play sports, atleast 40 mins of soccer or basketball a day, but when I get home straight to my desk chair. I am not a weak person though, I can benchpress quite a bit and the most important thing of all I AM DETERMIND. I am gogin on vacation in 29 days and I am aware I cant get in shape in 29 days but I can sure as hell try :D. I cant afford the gym and I know running is the best thing but to be honest with you, I dont really like jogging in madrid, its mad hot its crowded and no where to go.
    Basically I want stuff to do in my house. I dunno maybe push ups, sit ups etc... I also have a pair of 2kg weights :p .
    I am not very experienced so can anyone tell me what the best indoor excersies are for getting rid of some flab and maybe what I should and shouldnt eat or just advice in general. Thanks alot
    Patmian212

2. poundsmack macrumors 6502

poundsmack

run. best way to loose a few pounds and get in better shape. cartiovascular stuff is the way to go....so, run :)

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Put your desk chair away where you can't get to it.

You'll either spend less time at the computer or will at least burn more calories while being there. Odds are, though, that you'll be more active if you can't surf the net as much.

4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this and I'm sure I won't be the last, but you could do a lot worse than give up smoking. And if you do quit the ciggies, maybe the cash you save can go towards a gym membership?

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

If you don't feel like running, bike-riding is a good alternative:
    You go places, get around a bit, see things you might not otherwise, do a lot of aerobic work, lose pounds and may just have a good time in the process.
    You can do as many sit-ups/press-ups dumbells and weights as you want, but if you want to lose weight you will have to:
    1. Do lots of cardiovascular stuff (running, biking etc)
    2. Eat properly (try the cereal for lunch/breakfast and a normal dinner)

I am planning on doing this stuff too, though I think realistically, if I stick to 10-15 hours a week, I'll be reaching my targets at about christmas.
    I've done it before, it's tough.
    Have a lot of slack from college to get off. Want to loose 10-15 Kilos!

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

the idea is to burn more calories than you take in. this isn't diet or excerise, it is a lifestyle change. the change happens to include diet and excerise. in my opinion if you believe it is a diet and excerise then you won't keep it up. however, if you decide for yourself that this is how i am going to live from now on then you will.

about jogging, i am pretty sure where i live, dallas, texas, it is a lot hotter than madrid. (I have actually lived in spain before). dallas is basically an armpit of heat all summer. It is basically 32+ degrees C (90 deg F) everyday all summer, and people still jog here during the cooler hours. either way you just don't like jogging. Can you play soccer for more than 40 mins? You want to do cardio, and weight training which you can't do cause you can't join a gym. Since you don't like jogging, can you swim laps everyday? swimming is cardio excerise, and also basically works your whole body at once. i.e. burn more calories.

8. tristan macrumors 6502a

One big tip - Never, ever, ever drink a calorie. No regular soda, no juice, no beer, no nothing.

Most people happily guzzle 20 oz of coca cola or sprite a day, not realizing that they're taking in 250 calories a day, 1750 calories a week, 7000 a month, or 91k a year. If everything else is equal, that alone will make you gain 26 lbs a year. There's basically no way you can get in shape if you drink soda or juice regularly.

Good luck! I've lost 12 lbs since Dec 1. I go to the gym about twice a week, still eat too much fatty food, and only drink sparkling water.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Diet is the single most important factor in weight loss.

Calories are the single most important factor of diet.

Cut calories. Lose weight.

10. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Try the Abs Diet.

www.absdiet.com

I'm on it right now and everything is going pretty well so far. The food is great and it was easy changing my eating habits. You just need to do the specified workout 3 times a week (can be done at home) and eat what the authors recommend and you should be all set.

11. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Good advice so far. So what do you guys think I should eat for Breakfast lunch and dinner(anything except fish and lean cuisine :p)

12. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

One more thing.......STOP SMOKING!!!!! You have better performance when running around playing soccer and such. No one wants to see you cough up a lung.

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Normal Caloric Intake + Aerobic Exercise = Bliss
    Normal Caloric Intake X 2 + No Aerobic Exercise = Immensity

Join a gym and lay off the crap food. Eat enough to stay alive. All the rest just addes flab or comes out as crap.
    Can't afford a 50 buck a month gym? Can you afford to die? I'm sorry, but the solution is at your feet... if you can see them.
    Please don't think I am heartless. I am far from it. You see, I'm 6'7 and 210. I used to weigh 400+ lbs... So you can't fool me.
    Get off your butt. No half-assed excuses.
    Don't like fish or Lean Cuisine? Why not? Takes 10 seconds to eat it.
    Bah.

14. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

this isn't true...You can eat very few calories a day and still get overweight, calories contain energy,for your body to function; if you do very little energy intensive tasks you will get overweight. So the best way to loose weight is to exercise and just get out and do stuff!!

15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

This is what I eat. I am in no position to tell you what to eat. See a doctor or check out the Diabetic diet... which my wife is and serves.
    Breakfast: One vitamin pill, juice, bran muffin no butter, lots of coffee
    Lunch: 6" Subway low-fat sub. No coke, no chips, water. Coffee
    Dinner: Something balanced. 2 or 3 GREEN vegies (no corn or peas), a lean meat, no butter, no bread, a small salad no dressing, another vitamin. FRUIT!
    Once a week: A GIANT sundae or other favorite food. Or a pizza. Something truly evil. Six bratwurst? A dozen Dunkin Donuts? Use your imagination.
    No snacks. Ever.
    Good luck.

16. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Are fruit snacks acceptable, such as an apple, banana, some watermelon?
    Also I heard bread is mad fattening, would a low fat sub for lunch be bad in my case?

17. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I agree, this is not true.

I know plenty of people who eat like horses and, because of exercise, will either maintain a healthy weight, or drop to this weight.

IMO exercise is the main thing that influences health anyways.
    You can be very fit and still slightly overweight, and that's ok.
    But you can still be eating next to nothing and be overweight. Doing this is unhealthy. The combination of exercise and sensible diet is the only way to healthily lose wieght IMO.

18. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Water.

Lots and lots of water.

It's the most important part of any successful diet. It'll make you feel better all around, too. Clearer skin, no kidney stones (score!), more energy.

Drinking your 8 glasses a day is REALLY important.

and when I cut out all meat from my diet, I did it for moral reasons, but I found that I dropped 4 pounds in a week, without doing anything different. Maybe you could go veggie to help?

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Calories contain energy. Just being alive burns them. If you keep it zero sum, you won't gain weight. You may not be in shape physically, but you won't get fat.

The combination of exercise and diet is ideal, but if you had to choose one or the other, I'd choose diet.

It's simple enough.
    Calories in - calories out = weight gain/loss.

There's an average baseline of calories burned in a sedentary lifestyle that's between 1800-2200. If you eat less than that, you lose weight.

I'm training for a bike ride in July. Part of my training involves losing over 20 pounds (172 to 150). I'm at 160 (6') now and most of the final push will be with diet.

It's much easier to eat less than it is to find 4 hours of saddle time every single day.

20. Frisco macrumors 68020

1) Count how many calories you eat a day. Cut it by 500 calories a day. No more or you will slow down your metabolism and burn muscle not fat. The whole key to losing weight is to increase your metabolism. Google, "Ways to increase your metabolism", but one of the most important ways to to that is by eating 5-6 small meals a day and the most important meals in breakfast. Also the most important time to exercise is as early in the morning as possible. Both eating early and exercising early increases your metabolism for the rest of the day.

2) Exercise: Both cardio (aerobic) and weight training (anaerobic). Weight training is not just for bulking up. Muscles burn more calories than fat so the more muscular you are the higher your resting metabolic rate. But don't plan on bulking up and losing fat at the same time by cutting calories. They are inconsistent for heavy body-building, but a great part of weight loss.
    Cardio is very important. Take a look at marathon runners--they almost look anorexic!

3) Low Fat (yes Atkins is a big scam--stay away!)
    Low Carb
    High Protein, found in tuna and other types of fish
    Chicken
    Lean Meats
    Egg Whites
    Turkey

Remember to google, "Ways to increase your metabolism" That is key.

Good Luck and let us know how you do.

Here's an interesting article

21. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Great article, it really opened my eyes :eek:

22. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Hell, why not just go anorexic or bulimic!?

Come on! Exercise is the better choice! You will get fitter, feel better and lose weight! Plus you will most likely lose more weight than diet alone (if you do the right exercise).

You can eat nothing, and lose weight, but that isn't exactly healthy now, is it?

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Haha, is that right? I spent a year (freshman year at college) drinking 2-3 20 oz bottles of soda everyday (yes I've gotten rid of the habit - 1-3 bottles per week now).

And what do you know? I LOST pounds during the year! From ~125 to ~115, in fact. And no I didn't do ANYTHING but sit in my room all day (except go to class and the cafeteria).

24. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i think it is different for every person body. i used to 20 more a week like raven, and then i quit. no weight change. they only thing that change was my sugar craving reduced after awhile. the only time i gain weight is when i do resistance training.

25. Frisco macrumors 68020

Some people naturally have higher metabolisms. Do that at age 40 and people will be calling you Santa Claus!