Help Me Get Out Of Command Line In OS X!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ArtMan617, Jun 28, 2002.

1. ArtMan617 macrumors regular

I just switched my startup disk to OS X and restarted, hoping to use that wonderful operating system. However, when I restarted it booted up into the command line, black-screened interface where you can only type. How can I get to the OS X that I love?

-ArtMan617

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I thought

I thought that, that sort of thing only happned when you re-booted and held down "s" to force it into single user mode. Did you get any errors when you booted up? You could have a problem with the OS that forced it into single user mode. Things like a hard shut down (power outage) may corrupt files and the system may want you to run fsck disk to check and repair the disk. before you reboot. What prompt are you getting? is it the normal #<username><path># or is the something else like "OK" ?

-evildead

3. ArtMan617 thread starter macrumors regular

I did get some errors...I forget what they were exactly, but they were password/priviledge/user related...also, I think I found someone who had the same problem in another forum site and they had just updated the G4 firmware, which I also did...has anyone else had this problem?

-ArtMan617

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

type...

..."logout". If that doesn't work, you've got problems.

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

hmmm

I would need to see the error messages to help you more. Its posible that the firmware did it. I saw a firmware update for G4 systems that had a note on it NOT to use it with cerian models. I dont know if that appys to you or not. Have you deleted your origonal admin user account that OSX makes you create when you start up for the first time? How about root user, did you even enable root user?

-evildead

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

this reminds me of the time i tried to play carmageddon on my old pc laptop...the game didnt run in windows, so i had to use ms-dos....it took me almost an hour before I finally called up a tech support guy in order to learn that you type exit >_<

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Depends if the machine started in Open Firmware mode or into OS X Single User mode.

They're both text screens, but serve two different purposes.

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

boot back to your OS9 cd, then change your boot option back to OS9. my suggestion for OS X is to reinstall it from the CD.