Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
So, I happen to have a G4 mobo and processor lying around, not doing much, so why not assemble!

I'm having some trouble identifying the mobo, though. I think its AGP graphics, but I'm not sure. Does say 890-1094-A © Apple Computer, though, so I hope that's helpful. The CPU it came with I know for sure was a 450 MHz.

So, I have a few minor questions, but one major problem.

Minor
  • PSU. Reading this thread has provided me with some insight, but the current solution it presents here looks like a major PITA to do. Were they always like this? And I assume a 550 Watt PSU would do good as well? And furthermore, what was the power draw out of these old G4s?
  • Graphics card. I would need to find one cheap. Preferably PCI as well as my computer with AGP might be using a different AGP slot (runs the last released Voodoo card), and preferably able to run two monitors, but it probably won't be that bad if it doesn't.
  • Thermal Interface. I have the heatsink for the CPU (I was astounded to find the G4 CPU had a passive cooler :eek:) but at the same time I would think that the CPU and the heatsink would need a thermal interface compound of some sort - I have a tube of Arctic Silver 5 around, I assume that would do the job?

Anyways... I have an old IDE drive and SDRAM on the way. I'd also be looking out for an old G4 case to have some fun with as well.

Major

Now, here's the thing I'm worried about. In the attached image you can see that the capacitor labeled C61 is loose, its broken on one side and the other is just hanging in there. I assume I can soldier it back on? Never done that before, though, but I know if I don't fix it the machine won't run.

Thanks for looking, sorry its jumbled. If anybody has any other thoughts/resources, please, lemmie know.

Attachments

• C7x0-6ErchCyYQai4aq3xjq-Ne-rRnfoS8hdCfDQPYg,n0pVSDYGsWsFEw5nS6K-4n-bWSdHWUN3e7fF4tDQPFU.jpeg
    C7x0-6ErchCyYQai4aq3xjq-Ne-rRnfoS8hdCfDQPYg,n0pVSDYGsWsFEw5nS6K-4n-bWSdHWUN3e7fF4tDQPFU.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 67
  • XqQbH0U2Cy9Q4YurdUIoR_cG14BToHsZk3nx0uohGD0,u3v-Nd-eVloD-3wIzGCfueCDdPmMacoF2IWZGyjQNSg.jpeg
    XqQbH0U2Cy9Q4YurdUIoR_cG14BToHsZk3nx0uohGD0,u3v-Nd-eVloD-3wIzGCfueCDdPmMacoF2IWZGyjQNSg.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 55

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
it's a AGP mobo, all AGP slots are brown in color for ease of identifying ;),

not sure about the resistor problem,

if your in england, i've got a G4 case laying about in pretty good condition if ya interested,
i'll have a dig about, i might be able to find a original ATI rage 128 agp that the comp shipped with, comes with dual ADP if memory serves, will let ya know ;)

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Yep, looks like an AGP Graphics G4.

Looks like you have a blown capacitor. You'll need to get your soldering iron out and replace it.

Yes, some of the first G4s used passive cooling. (I really miss that...)
Yes, Arctic Silver 5 would be fine.

Before investing in a case, I suggest you try to get it running to see if anything else is wrong with the motherboard other than the blown capacitor.

Good luck!

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
The power supply wiring mod is not difficult at all. I did it to my old AGP unit years ago. The original ps was only rated for 237 watts if my memory is working, so 550 watts would be more than enough.

C61 is an electrolytic capacitor, not transistor. Printed on the top of it are voltage and farad ratings. You will need to match these with a replacement.

Good luck!

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
C61 is an electrolytic capacitor, not transistor.

I knew I didn't have the right name for it. :eek: Editing...

Looks like you have a blown capacitor. You'll need to get your soldering iron out and replace it.

Printed on the top of it are voltage and farad ratings. You will need to match these with a replacement.

Well, upon further inspection, it looks like the soldiering job was shoddily done anyways - it came free relatively easily. Though personally, I think it was USPS and their wonderful shipping methods. I'll be sure to try and locate one with the same ratings, though.

The power supply wiring mod is not difficult at all. I did it to my old AGP unit years ago. The original ps was only rated for 237 watts if my memory is working, so 550 watts would be more than enough.

Good to hear!

Yes, some of the first G4s used passive cooling. (I really miss that...)
Yes, Arctic Silver 5 would be fine.

Before investing in a case, I suggest you try to get it running to see if anything else is wrong with the motherboard other than the blown capacitor.

Well noted.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Gonna need it, especially with my huge fingers and first soldiering job. :p

if your in england, i've got a G4 case laying about in pretty good condition if ya interested... i might be able to find a original ATI rage 128 agp that the comp shipped with, comes with dual ADP if memory serves, will let ya know ;)
Too bad I'm not in sunny old England, but YGPM.

my late 1999 400mhz agp/sawtooth, psu Delta Electronics Dps 200pb-110 a 208w
5v 20a
3.3v 24a
+5vsb 1.5a
+12v 6a
-12v .25A

5v + 3.3v max 126w
5v + 3.3v max 32a

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.