Help me! i need to find a DUAL BOOT laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wylie, Mar 24, 2004.

1. wylie macrumors member

hi

Im after a dual boot laptop, to run office aps on OSX, and to run professional audio software on OS9

What are my options? G4 Titanium ? is that my only option and if so, how woud a 667mhz or 867mhz processer fare with some hefty processing usage from Logic for eg?

any help would be much appreciated, am a bit stuck

thanks

2. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

Any Titanium G4 powerbook up to 1Ghz will dual boot OS 9, but what audio software are you using exactly? You may be able to get away with a lot more in OS X (or replacements for some of the stuff from OS 9) and get a better machine.

3. cjc343 macrumors 6502

I believe that there is a OS 9 install on the Restore CD for any new laptop, but don't take my word for it.....

There is also a nifty little app called "classic" which is shipped with OS X. I find it very helpful when I need to use an OS 9 app.

4. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

Classic is useful for running the occasional non-native application, but it is not compatible with all apps. Music apps tend to be a class of applications that Classic is either a rather horrible, or completely incompatible environment.

Also, the OS 9 install on those restore CDs will not give you a bootable OS 9 system folder if the hardware doesn't support booting from OS 9 - it is there mostly so that you can easily restore Classic if you need to.

5. cjc343 macrumors 6502

Well I am glad that I understand now.....

Good luck in finding something that works for you!

6. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

are you running protools? are there specific plugins you have that are OS9 only?

if you dont have to use specific OS9 plugins,
    Protools 6.2.3 for Panther is SMOKIN' !!!

7. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

oops, read that wrong, you are using logic.

apple.com has refurbished 1ghz Titanium 60GB/Superdrive powerbooks for $1799
    $1399 for the 867mhz Titanium 40GB/Combodrive

i never used Logic in OS9 so i cant tell you how good performance would be. eMagic, the makers of Logic will tell you that OSX performance, support and compatibility in Logic would be better, saying that

"MIDI support, as well as any native audio plug-in format was not integrated into Mac OS 9, and the audio facilities offered by the SoundManager were inadequate for professional use. This led to numerous competing standards such as: ASIO, EASI, SoundManager, OMS, MAS, VST, RTAS, Premiere, AudioSuite, DirectI/O and more... - a disadvantage for manufacturers and users.
    In Mac OS X, MIDI and audio communication of all applications is managed via integrated parts of the operating system. This system-level support makes the task of combining different components such as; audio interfaces, MIDI hardware and software from different manufacturers much simpler to use. This has been evidenced with the large number of supported MIDI and audio interface drivers that have appeared thus far... with more to come in the near future"

8. wylie thread starter macrumors member

hi guys, thanks for the replys so far

sorry i should have exlained myself better,

the version of Logic i have will only run on OS9 (same as the 200 plug ins that i have), hence why i need a dual-bootable machine

I own a 1.25Ghz (DP), dual boot powermac, which runs logic effectively in OS9,

how would a 867mhz titanium fare running logic in os9, i will only be running office aps in osX (btw) ? if i load it with ram ?

Or would i need a faster processor?

i have a few private sales avaliable to me atm, but only 867mhz?

thanks

9. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

the 867mhz TiBook is good for audio in that it has a 1MB L3 cache.
    your DP 1.25ghz probably also has a large cache, but the DP handles FX alot better. They both have similar FSB's. So, you would probably get similar results with the powerbook, but maybe not be able to stack on as many FX? how many channels of audio are you planning to run? mono/stereo? how much FX? insert FX or bussed FX?
    The MAX ram of the 867 TiBook is 1GB, i would suggest maxing it out if you plan to use Logic in OS9