Help me justify a $50,000 car

Discussion in 'Community' started by rdowns, Nov 4, 2004.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

My lease is just about up and it's time for a new car. Been driving Acura's (CL 2.2, CL 3.0, TL Type S) for my last 3 cars and I love them. Was just going to get a new TL but saw the new RL when I was in for an oil change last week. Went back to drive it and it is just spectacular. While I can easily afford the lease, I have a problem with a $750+ car payment. Should I go for it?

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I'd sleep on it a couple of days or weeks, don't buy a car that expensive on an impulse.

But then again, if your making 150,000+ a year, I'd say go for it!

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sorry cannot help you justify the lease of a car, or any car.

However there are some nice $40-50 cars that dropped like a rock.

Heck even a nice Mercedes 500 S-Class can be had for $20k, if you don't mind the last body style.

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It is the RL. I am going to do it as soon as I can. If it were any other car I would be slightly dubious, but apart from it missing the Legend name (as it used to have) it is probably the best car you can get for that amount of money.

I think that if you wrote a detailed report with pictures after purchasing it would definately be justified.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I can't justify buying (or leasing) a $50,000 car if you'd have problems with that payment. If you can truly afford a $50k car, you should laugh at $900/mo. car payments. If they make you nervous, go down a notch or two.

Remember: the best car in the world is the one that's paid for.

6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

that is the truest statement ever.

7. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

I'm here to dissuade you from buying a $50,000 car. Live simply and share the wealth. There are plenty of causes that could use the extra $250 a month, and ones you believe in to boot.

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

An Acura for $50,000? Wow!

Go take a look on eBay motors (great deals on great cars) for a BMW or something. I would get a BMW 540i, I think it can be had for way under $50,000 (on eBay). If you look around, you might be able to get an M5 for that price.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I say get a car under $1,000. Mighty fine, mighty fine.

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

rdowns, If you are planning on spending that kind of money, I would advocate shopping around. The RL has some decent competition from Audi (A6, S4), Lexus (GS), Infiniti (G45), BMW (5-series) and Mercedes (E-class). They are all fine machines and worth a test drive for comparison's sake.

That said, you obviously love Acura and enjoyed the RL immensely. If you can afford to purchase it but have reservations based on principle (how I took your comments), I would say go for it. You only live once.

Again, I would implore you to do some comparative shopping first, with the above models and some other of their (cheaper) offerings. At the very least it could be a lot of fun.

Good luck.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I thought he said he can afford the lease, but not a $50k purchase (or didn't like the idea of it's big payment.)

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Acuras (and hondas for that matter) are among the best built cars on the road, as good as BMWs, really.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The RL is amazing. With the 300HP AWD it just looks awesome. Although my old TL Type S was extremely fast. Too fast for a teenager, get me arrested or dead eventually. They are nice but I still love the TL. If I were you I would go with a used 2004 TL once the 2005's come out. Reason being the 2005 RL is in limited quanities right now and I doubt you will be able to haggle with the salesman cause there is probably someone in line waiting to pay MSRP for it.

iJon

15. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I'm sure they are, but still, when I am driving, I notice nice cars. What I'm saying is, when I see an Acura on the road, I don't think "damn thats a nice car".

But when I see a BMW, Mercedes, Audi on the road, I think "DAMN, THATS a NICE CAR"

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

To me the RL is still the Legend. I owned a 1st gen Legend and am currently driving a 2nd gen one. I don't like the third gen much but they are definately back on track with this latest one. Even though I tend not to buy new cars, a 2 year old Acura is virtually indistinguishable, if it really isn't a problem for you than I would go for it. I am cheap too, which doesn't help. Maybe 'frugal' is a better description, I do pay more for quality products like Apple and Acura.

What I would do though is put down a substantial deposit. There is really no point in paying all of that interest if you can avoid it.

I have friends who drive BMWs, one with a Lincoln LS (V8) (he averages 13.6 mpg!) and various others with Audis (nicely dressed VWs) and Mercedes (rapidly declining reliability and quality) and they are not head and shoulders beyond Japanese auto makers anymore.

The Acura TL beats all but the M3 when considering the 3 series. But it really needs AWD, or at least RWD. The TL was second only to the 3 series in its class and the 3 series has so many more variations than the TL does.

My friend paid close to $50,000 for his fully loaded 330Ci and did not get SH-AWD, 300hp, 260 lbs of torque, the fuel economy or a host of other features that you would with an RL.

When comparing the RL to the 5 series BMW, I would say that Acura are almost there when it comes to being on par or beyond them.

I like BMW though, hopefully this will spur them to be more competitive, or at least bring the price down some.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Really sucks that some of the Lincoln LSs dropped like a rock, and can had for $15.5-17.5k -- and they really aren't all that old, and basically the Jaguar S-Type with a fewer HP and new sheetmetal.

Basically a really decent used car, if you don't mind driving a US nameplate Ford.

But it is odd that some Lincolns and Mercurys drop below the basic Ford used car prices.

18. makisushi macrumors 6502

This is what I ask myself when making major purposes:

If you want it, buy it.
    If you are worried about paying for it, don't buy it.

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Oh, I like his car, he got an '02 for $26,000. Down from about $49,000 brand new with all of the options that it had. Which is terrible really, considering that it is nice looking and has a lot of features. But the two things I really don't like about it are the mileage it gets and the ride, the suspension is subpar for that price. Hopefully it is more mechanically sound than your average Ford is though.

What else doesn Lincoln have to offer?

The Aviator, a $50,000 Ford Explorer.

The Navigator, a $50,000+ Ford Expedition.

Coming soon from Lincoln, the Lincoln Zeppelin, a $100,000 Ford Excursion.

20. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I am the Service Manager at an Acura dealer. All I can say is that the new RL is unbelievable. It is a little smaller than I thought it would be, but otherwise it is perfect. It does not even have a key. It has a remote that you carry with you and when you put your hand on the door handle, it unlocks. When you get in the car, as long as the remote is with you, you just turn the nub (where the key usually goes) and it starts right up. Also, if you leave the remote in your jacket and shut the trunk, the trunk opens back up. :D I say just do it!

21. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

If you have to Justify it, you probably shouldnt buy it :-/

22. Dave@UW macrumors newbie

Do it do it do it do it

The RL is amazing. Get it. My dad almost got a TL (ended up getting an Infiniti because of the RWD), and Acuras are amazing cars. The new AWD system in it sounds great, and just the fact that it's a honda means it'll last longer than you'll need it to with no problems. So yeah, get it, or better yet, get it and send it to me!

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Badass, I didn't know about the remote feature. I still get mad at my mom for getting the Caddy Deville over the RL (or any Acrua for that matter) a couple of weeks ago. Yeah the caddy is nice and fast as hell but I still love those TL's and new RL.

iJon

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Smart move from a parent, get a frumpy old fart car when the kids start driving.

25. justjess22 macrumors newbie

justjess22

Love our Lease

My husband and I started leasing a 325i BMW convertible in April. This car has the premium package on it, a value of $50,000. Our lease payment is only $550/month for 3 years. We did put down $2000.
    Have you considered a BMR?