Help me on this

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by phantommaul, May 12, 2002.

1. phantommaul macrumors member

hi i am a mac fan from istanbul,Turkey in my country apple computers are imported via a company so as u can imagine the prices are really high compared to usa i want to buy a macintosh but i cannot decide which strategy to follow could you help me on this dilemma;

1. a iMac 800 Mhz with superdrive has a price of 2700 dollars (tax included)
    2. a 677 Mhz powerbook has a price of 2500 in usa and i can import it from usa to turkey without any questions asked because first of all its a laptop and second the international insurance will be valid in turkey and no stepdown converters needed for power supply because of the international power adapter

so if you were me what would you do ? buy a powerbook from usa or buy an iMac from Turkey?

please take the spesifications of the machines into consideration too and i am open to other reccomendations

p.s i am gonna use the computer for my advertising needs and that means both photoshop and final cut pro and other graphic related software and i am also into digital music so its important for me to have a long lasting machine

thanxs for you help

creative without strategy is art
    creative with strategy is advertising

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Go with the TiBook

I'd go with the TiBook 667, for photoshop work it will be better as it has a higher screen res than the iMac.
    And 133Mhz gap in CPU speed won't make that much of a difference (I wouldn't think? Correct me if I'm wrong anyone :D )
    Also the fact that it is portable must be an added bonus, and $200 cheaper!
    The only reason I'd go for the iMac is the SuperDrive, and if you are going to want to put your work in Final Cut Pro to DVD then of course this is your only choice.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd also go with the TiPB, not only for the reasons verbose gave, but also if you went to a client, you would be able to fire up the laptop and show them everything on your own machine. I have one and do this all the time, it really is a great way to present work to people.

Good luck

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

you're talking about the new G4 iMac right? and you're also talking about the new TiBook, right? well, the iMac would probably last you a bit longer. but both have the same size screen, but the new TiBook 667 only comes with 256MB RAM. if you're going to be travelling, the TiBook is definitely the way to go. you've also got to think about whether you are going to need to upgrade or not.
    just write down the Pros and Cons of each on a piece of paper, you should be able to figure it out easily then.

5. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Theres a TiBook 667 (old) with 48GB and 256mb going for ~1800 AU$!!!..thats AU so its heaps cheaper in US...its on ebay here...if you dont want the whole 32mb graphics and all, it would be a good way to go..