Help me out of SAFE BOOT...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ecche, Jan 12, 2007.

1. ecche macrumors regular

Help, I think I wrecked my PB (G4, 1.5Mhz, 1GB, Tiger 10.4.8)!
    It will only start up in safe boot, with limited extensions, and now it thinks it has no airport card anymore.
    I watched the Macworld keynote as QT film, but paused it when I had to answer a longish telephone call and also put the PB to sleep. When I returned to the PB an hour later and woke it up to resume watching the keynote, it kernel panicked.
    At first I thought oh well, knowing I have neatly backed up all my documents, but soon found I was extremely limited in safe boot mode.
    I tried disk repair etc, had a run with the original hardware test CD, nothing. Tried killing PRAM. Eventually tried reinstall of Tiger, but I git kernel panics every time the DVD starts.
    I must have somehow knocked out some system files , I guess. Unfortunately I do not have backups of those.
    Any ideas? ANY help appreciated.

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Well, you could first try booting into single-user mode (hold Cmd + S at boot). Once you get to the black screen with the white-text command prompt, type "fsck -fy" without the quotes. This should check your hard drive, much like disc utility would, and let you know if anything is wrong with the filesystem.

Let us know what happens! :)

3. ecche thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. This was strange! I did not even type anything in, but it started itself at the black screen, lots of tests doen obviously, so fast I could not make out anything of note, then it went right on into a regular boot, with the system being normal, Airport etc all working.
    When I then restarted it went into safe boot again......!

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. ecche thread starter macrumors regular

I cannot get into single user or verbose mode without the automatically proceeding into a regular boot. At least then everything seems to work fine and the internet connection works as well.
    I have checked in the console system log, as suggested in on of the recommended articles , but I cannot find anything when I search for "parse failed".

6. ecche thread starter macrumors regular

oh I forgot: no, the shift key works fine and is not stuck.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Maybe an OS reinstall is worth doing then, make sure your data is backed up first (though you seem to be better than me at doing that already, I can't wait for Time machine)