Help me pick a digital camera.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TimDaddy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I am going to purchase a digital camera, probably by the end of the month. I have decided that I want at least 4 megapixels. I don't want to spend more than $500. Obviously, it needs to be Mac-compatible. I need advice on brands, and what features to look for. It will mostly be used for snapshots of my wife and kids, and vacation photos once or twice year. I don't know anything about photography, but occasionally I do see something that I want to photograph as kind of an "artsy" picture. A lot of the times that I wish I had a good camera involve a big, low moon and some lanscape feature. So, a camera that will take good pictures in the dark would be nice. I would also like a decent zoom. Advise, anyone?

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Hope the helps

Look at http://www.apple.com/iphoto/compatibility/camera.html to see if any camera you might be interested in is compatible.

I have a fuji Finepix S304 and it has 6X optical zoom (always buy optical zoom) digital zoom is next to useless. Kodak has a camera with 10X optical zoom (but I don't know its name - sorry). If you want pictures of the moon then you will need a tripod and at least 6X optical zoom. My Fuji is great and has some good manual features that I used for the recent lunar eclipse, although it did struggle a little to get a focus lock at totality.

Also read some reviews for any camera that you might buy. I looked on amazon and did a google search. Don't rush this - take your time. Go to a shop and handle them. Don't believe the sales assistants advice, believe the reviews of real people.

Buy a bigger memory card - the cards that come with the camera are the next thing that is almost useless. Figure this cost into the total cost equation. There is no point going going on holiday to take your photos with a 16mb card that comes with most cameras. A 4 megapixel camera won't give many photos on that sized card.

Simon

3. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

Timdaddy,

I have a Casio Exilim Ex-Z3, not originally on the compatibility list but works fine.

I love it for its size, I carry it all places and get the shots you miss if the camera is large and bulky. There is a 4Mpixel version around now so keep your eyes peeled. The Pentax optio-S is a similar camera in a different case also worth considering.

John

4. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

my brother and i both have fuji digital cameras they're quite easy to use and haven't given us any problems

5. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

the new canon powershot A80 looks good. i have an older powershot (a40) and am very happy with it. check this site for reviews:

http://www.dcresource.com/

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

My wife and I have been very happy with our Canon S200 Elph. They don't make that model any more, I think it's the S230 and S400 (3 mp and 4mp respectively). But the 2mp on ours is plenty for snapshots.

The best thing is its size--tiny. Smaller than an ipod, so in the pocket it goes.

Of course, it's point and shoot, so if you're a more serious photog., you'll want more control. But I wanted point and shoot, since I have an SLR for serious photos.

7. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Re: Help me pick a digital camera.

Check out this guys very thorough and informative reviews. His reviews will give you a good idea of the cameras positive and negative attributes.

http://www.epinions.com/user-howard_creech

Personally, I have the Coolpix 4500 and am very happy with it. My main reason for selecting that one is due to its awesome macro, 3/4". NO other cameras macro comes close to to the Nikons.

If I didn't need the macro, I'd still choose Nikon, but would also check out the Sony with the Zeiss lenses and the Panasonic with the Leica lenses. Canon is also worthwhile checking out too :)

8. joshuwa72 macrumors member

The Canon Powershot G5 is an AWESOME camera....its retail is like $800, however you can easily find it on the net, bran new, not refurbished, for around $500.

9. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Thanks juk for the link. Wow, what a site. I too am looking for a digital camera. It would be for home use: pics of kids; pets; vacation stuff. Want the camera to be pretty much automatic but have the ability to do some manual settings. Image quality is a top priority for home printing and also use the images "throttled down" for emailing. USB 2.0 connection is what I want along with a good bit of memory (Canon S50 has a 32 meg card included). Right now I'm looking at the Canon S50 and thinking about the Nikon 4500 (I think that's the model). Price range tops out at $500 and did I say I want it now.

Anyway, good site with lots of info. Thanks again. If anyone has any experiences with the S50 or the Nikon pls post.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

What about canon A70

I'm very keen about getting a CanonA70 for non-professional pics, just family events, I've read lot of reviews about it but still not sure wether or not it has a timer, I want to be in the family book too... :D

Pls!!

11. TimDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the repies, everyone. I appreciate the advise. I've heard a lot of good things about the Coolpix, so I'll definately keep that in mind. Hopefully I'll get a chance to actually touch some this afternoon while out shopping.

12. TimDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay. I finally bought one. I got the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P92. I liked the 5mp for the price of other 3 or 4mp cameras. All the point n shoot type digital cameras seemed to have the same features. The only thing I don't like is the Memory Stick. From what I've seen the price is about double that of a comparably sized flash card. But, I'm willing to buy used and generic memory sticks. Right now, I'm not going far from home, so when my 16mb gets full, I'll just run in and put them on the computer. Most of the camers seemed very good, I guess I just prefered the "feel" of the Sony, and I have had Sony car stereos, Walkmans (Walmen?), Discmans, etc., and was always happy with them. I'll post the few pics I took with it as I played around with it on Sunday.

This is Micah with is ballpoint goatee.

Attached Files:

13. TimDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

And here is Micah on my wife's cell phone, talking business.

Attached Files:

14. TimDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

I've gotta work on this sizing thing.:)

And here is my wife, Beth. This was actually taken in the parking lot of a Mexican Restaurant in a slummy part of Frankfort. I just said smile and snapped the pic, I had no idea it was going to turn out this well.

Attached Files: