Help me pick my next Mac (for a lifelong Apple user)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Plymouthbreezer, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

    Plymouthbreezer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #1
    So, here's my story. I really have a few options, and I'ld like some other Mac heads advice on what I should do.

    My current setup: 17" iMac G4 1GHz running Tiger as my main machine. 512 MB RAM and 80 GB HD. Overall runs great, but it is starting to show its age (2 years one month as of now). I understand that a simple $60 could get me some more RAM, and would really help things.

    I also have a G3 iMac which is the extra computer my dad uses from games and email. That doesn't see much use, but runs really well for a 5 year old computer.

    So, my dilemma is, what do I get next?! It's between a PowerBook or an iMac right now. A few things I must consider though:

    Before all this Intel stuff, I was just going to buy a nice top o' the line G5 20" iMac around next spring. However, that would be stupid, because I mind as well wait to get an Intel based machine in late 2006. I do understand that my current Macs won't be outdated, but I'll still want a Macintel just because I like new stuff.

    But now I'm thinking I want a laptop. Actually, I've always been planing to get a laptop, but before I figured I'd just get an iBook and use that in addition to my G5 iMac which I would have by next year. But since the switch and all, I figure I need something to hold me over until at least late 2006, at which time I will get the Macintel. If I do get a PowerBook, I'll be fine with the iMac G4 as my main desktop for a little longer, since the PowerBook can relieve the iMac from some of it's duties. I do like speed and stuff, but I don't need a crazy pro system realistically, one reason a G5 Tower is not for me (also, all-in-ones appeal to me). Yes upgrading is harder on all-in-ones, but I usually get a new computer at least every 2-3 years.

    I would keep both my current iMacs any route I go. If I get the laptop, it can go in my room or where ever, something that's really great (well duh, it's a laptop!).

    Anyway, feel free to ask questions and stuff, I would like to know what other longtime Mac users would do in my situation. I can afford up to $2,400 come the end of summer (August), which depending on what I decide, is when I would purchase something.

    (The PowerBook would be a 15" Superdrive with 1GB or RAM and an 80GB hard-drive. If I did the iMac, it would be the 2.0GHz 20")
     
  2. orijinal macrumors 6502

    orijinal

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    #2
    Lotta rumors saying there may be an upgrade to some of the lines in the next week or so. We'll see what goes on then.
     
  3. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

    Plymouthbreezer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #3
    Yeah, I know that too... Like I said though, it would be purchased around the August/September.
     
  4. cubist macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2002
    Location:
    Muncie, Indiana
    #4
    Definitely get another half a gig for the iMac G4. That's a nice computer and will be for some time to come. You might consider an external firewire hard drive to get some more space.

    If you decide for an iBook, wait for an update. This is just me, but I'd advise against getting a PowerBook or PowerMac at this time... unless you can get it at a really substantial discount.

    This is probably a good time to consider 'infrastructure' improvements, like an airport express, a new mouse, keyboard, maybe a bluetooth dongle.
     
  5. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

    Plymouthbreezer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #5
    I don't want an iBook, I know that for sure. ;)

    I have a Tablet + Wireless mouse, an iPod if I do get pressed for space - But I still have 48.5 GBs free, so HD space isn't really an issue.
     
  6. d_saum macrumors 6502

    d_saum

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2005
    Location:
    NC
    #6
    If it was me, I'd do the RAM upgrade first, then I'd wait and see about the power book upgrades... those are bound to be one of the first things to be updated since they have been pretty stagnant. I know you said you dont want an iBook, but I have one (see sig) and I love it. I have 640MB ram in it and it runs awesome!!!!
     
  7. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

    Plymouthbreezer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #7
    I'd want my laptop to last me at least 3 years until college, so an iBook might be outdated much sooner.
     
  8. zen.state macrumors 68020

    zen.state

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2005
    #8
    you have a good enough mac now that your should wait till the intels are out to buy a new one. buy another 512mb for now and wait.

    if you had a G3 300 or something I would say buy now but a G4 1GHz (especially with 1gb ram) would do most fine and then some till next summer without a doubt. you will also have saved more by then and can buy a much nicer one than you had planned maybe.
     
  9. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

    Plymouthbreezer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #9
    Very true. Either way, I will need a laptop by the end of high school.

    I'll hold tight for a few months anyway, and then see what happens with the PowerBook/iBook lines.
     

Share This Page